$33 monthly for an 8 megabit-per-second connection

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:40 03 Jan 03
  GANDALF <|:-)> 11:40 03 Jan 03

...although you may have to upsticks and start learning Korean. click here read it, laugh at those dreaming of 1Mb/sec and weep!

It is interesting to note that the population of Korea is similar to the UK and the cost of providing the infra-structure was $1.5 billion which is errrrrrmm...the cost of the Dome (now in mothballs) or £300m more than the cost of the ultra-lame Wembley stadium which will host a few games of footie per year.

I despair at the UK economy and have resigned myself to the fact that we have zippo chance in a world economy...seems like we are still using the abacus here.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:45 03 Jan 03

It is a few months old but I have just received an email from BT informing me that they have decided to raise the number of subscribers required for BB at my exchange because TOO MANY people were applying....whaaaaaat!

G

jazzypop 11:54 03 Jan 03

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer he gave earlier...

" 'can anyone really expect a private company (BT) to lay cabling and update a telephone exchange at the cost of say £100,000 for the benefit of only a handful of people?'....errrm..that was my point. BT are a private company and will act as such. Throwing vast wodges of technology at Farmer Giles and his herd of goats would be commercial suicide. Expecting the Government to prop up (again) a private company using our money is also a bit rich. You either have a private compnay or a state-run company, that is the real world, uncharitable maybe, but the real world. "

and

" 'The UK government needs to do more to help rural areas and one way would be to help private companies where it makes no financial sense to extend the BB network'......and why would it make any sense for the Government to subsidise broadband to yokels ;-) around where I live, it is not as though they will send the economy into overdrive or else BT would be digging like a good 'un. BT will not as there is no profit and the Government would rather concentrate help aroung conurbations...Keynsian economics at its' finest. "

Welcome to the economics of the madhouse :)

jazzypop 11:55 03 Jan 03

Whoops - link to the original post - click here - one of several similar rants, if I recall :)

Nickg 12:05 03 Jan 03

Did you have to mention Wembley stadium, twice the price of the other bids, lousy access and a track record of bid mismanagement that beggers the imagination . Yet still it wins and gets £120 million lottery money. Ho hum isn't democracy wonderfull.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:16 03 Jan 03

My humour is lost in here :-)))) I have written many times about the economics of supplying BB to rural areas but the post is aimed at the business side,'I despair at the UK economy', is a clue to the target. :-))

It is the business aspect of BB that interests me, not for a bunch of geeks to spend hours gaming or for people to rabbit about drivel incessantly in chat rooms. Supplying BB to us carrot munchers at no profit is madness but why cannot 8Mbs be available for businesses, that are MOSTLY in populated areas? :-)) Natch it helps that the exchanges are owned by the Korean Govt. and private companies provide the services.

*Disclaimer* Having used BB, albeit NTL 128, I am not impressed by the general surfing speed as web pages seem to take about the same time to load as my 56k connection, although NTL do seem to appear to have some speed problems. The main advantage seems to be uploading or downloading files which is also applicable to businesses.

It is annoying that a business sets a trigger point for BB that was obviously economically viable (our local group were assured many times by BT that the figure was correct) and then changes it when too many people apply...I thought over-subscription would have been a good thing.

I back BT to the hilt when they say they need to make a profit, as they are a private company and fully support any withdrawl from non-profit areas but something seems not quite right in the garden.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:17 03 Jan 03

...and the post was slightly tongue-in-cheek as there are many differences between the UK and Korea but it shows how far back we are here.

G

tbh72 13:13 03 Jan 03

British spend an average of 4 hour's / week on the internet.... oooooop's. I think I need to get alife, other than my internet one ROFL. I haven't sat down and calculated my online time, But I would imagine it's not short of 8 hour's / day.

sil_ver 13:36 03 Jan 03

I believe the adage 'speculate to accumulate' is a stanger to these (UK) shores. Witness the number of British inventions that have been snapped up by foreign investors due to the lack of foresight by UK companies, which seems strange when you consider their predelection for ripping off customers in the pursuit of ever greater profits to be shared among a few hogfathers (apologies to Terry Pratchett).

Toad_7787 14:44 03 Jan 03

Lets face it - us British have made being last a national pastime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…