£30 increase within 10 minutes.

dagnammit 23:04 02 Jul 09

Done my usual research online before going shopping for a new phone. Limited my options to either a W980 walkman Sony Ericsson at £129 checked on Carphone Warehouse's website and the Nokia 5800 music phone priced at £185 on Phones4u's site.

Both these stores are located in the same shopping mall and I went between the two of them. First visit to Phones4u the handset was priced £195, £10 more than their website. Confirmed this with a sales assistant and then headed to carphone and discovered they had no stock of the w980. So I go back to Phones4u...

Of course I barely got through the door and someone pounced. I walked to the 5800 and the ticket now said £225! The chappy argued that it was that price all week, and I was wrong, but when my wife and I insisted it said (and another member of staff said) not ten minutes ago it was £195 he admitted he changed the price.

Travelled to Carphone Warehouse's next branch and got a w980 for the listed £129.

Phones4u = possibly some sort of con. Charging different prices at different times of the day.

UK Sub 00:21 03 Jul 09

As a manager of a shop that answers to an head office (that cant make up thier minds up as to which offers they want from one day to the next), I would say that they were probably meant to change the price hours before you went in, but they didn't see the fax, memo, communication, or even had a trainee open up the store that morning (the possibilities are endless).

You enquiring about the phone may even of jogged thier/someones memory that they were meant to change it.

Happens to me all the time when I send some to do something I know I should of done myself (and no I don't work for Phones4u).

dagnammit 00:38 03 Jul 09

Their website still shows, as of the time of this post, a price of £185.70 and £40 between web and store is ridiculous. I probably won't visit them again.

DSG, Jessops, Tescos, Argos & Carphone and more all have websites that mirror their stores. If it's a web only price it's marked as such and means I don't have to waste my time going into a branch.

I don't like buying online unless there's no other option.

dagnammit 00:43 03 Jul 09

£40 between web and store is ridiculous.

I should have said also that I accept the HighStreet costs more and have often paid more for the convenience of not waiting on deliveries and having a physical place to return to.

UK Sub 01:22 03 Jul 09

That's the key I think, the website now has a lower price (don't they always).

I do agree they should of been honest with you over changing the ticket and apologized, as a manager I would of and at least stepped in and tried to offer you a good deal on something (even if I couldn't give you that exact phone at that exact price) if you had pushed them (phoning customer relations works wonders) they may have honored it.

My other half had a bad experience with Phones4u a few years ago (a cash back offer) and I have never entered thier door to this date.

ronalddonald 18:25 03 Jul 09

you saw a differnt price which was higher walk away and dont buy it

dagnammit 00:00 04 Jul 09

I was shocked to see a price increase in the space of 10 minutes. Anyway paying a bit more in a shop is only to be expected... there's sales ass's to pay wages to, high rent and so on. That said Phones4u were, or rather, are asking too much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…