Is the 3 year warrenty worth the money

Willow12 13:34 17 Jun 06

Putting together my ne PC package from Dell and just noticed that they pre-select the 3 year on site support rather than the 1 year collect and return service.

The 3 year support basically involves a Dell engineer coming and fixing your PC if you get any problems in that time. The 1 year is just them collecting it and returning it fixed within 6 days.

Clearly the 3 year deal is better but with it my PC will cost £1,009 and without it £868. A big £141 difference.

The peace of mind of 3 years cover is what they rely on, and it is tempting as I am buying a reasonably good machine that I certainly cannot fix if it goes wrong. So is the price too high or money well spent?

Jackcoms 14:03 17 Jun 06

I've always bought Dell - both PCs and laptops - and always bought their 3-year on-site package.

Apart from a replacement keyboard I have never really needed the package for my PCs.

However, I bought an Inspiron laptop for my elder daughter to take to Uni when she started last September and, again, bought the 3-year package which includes accidental damage.

Shortly after starting at Uni, a heavy metal photo frame fell from a shelf directly onto the laptop keyboard and broke off a selection of key - effectively rendering the keyboard useless.

A quick call to Dell's support line and 24 hours later the laptop was up and running again with a brand new complete keyboard having been fitted by a Dell engineer.

The moral of my story? I have great faith in Dell's products but I would still buy the 3-year guarantee in case of that unforeseen event.

LinH 14:39 17 Jun 06

It depends, are you adept at problem solving and repairing?

If the answer is yes, you don't really need a three year warranty. Also, you get a one year guarantee anyway and generally if an electrical product is going to go wrong it will be in the first couple of months. If, however, you are not adept and want peace of mind, then it is probably suitable.

Finally, remember that Dell make extremely reliable machines and have a very good reputation.

961 14:50 17 Jun 06

If it works well for the first three months it will probably work well forever until a hardware fault occurs. These are pretty rare these days

If it goes wrong after 3 months, it's more than likely to be software or you fiddling about

In view of the price difference I'd take the chance, making sure the thing is well used during the 3 month period

spuds 15:00 17 Jun 06

It all depends on the actual wording of the warranty, and the services the manufacturer will supply at the time of need. Word of mouth is a very good indication as to the value of the product and warranty cover.

Peace of Mind sounds very promising, but I once had one of those so called warranty's, and it turned out to be pure hell. The solution to that problem, was to pay by credit card ( you can also do this using a computer finance loan), and make a claim via section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:38 17 Jun 06

Most home insurance policies will cover against accidental damage at home and away.

G

bfoc 00:47 18 Jun 06

With 4 years cover including accidental damage (it was on a cashback offer at the time I bought it) and it has been excellent.

I had a minor problem with paint bubbling on one part of the underside of the machine - replaced the day after I called.

More recently a crack appeared in the screen casing. The next working day an engineer replaced the casing and the screen!

My daughters have both had to use the extended warranty on their Evesham computers (one laptop and one desktop) and whilst it isn't as fast as Dell it was still worth it (around £40 extra at the time).

Whilst not wanting to disagree with GANDALF <|:-)> accidental damage is often an extra on home insurance policies and even if covered there can be an argument as to whether it is 'accident' or 'wear and tear'. I know of someone whose insurance company claimed the damage was caused by wear and tear and so not covered under accidental damage, whereas the computer company claimed the damage was caused by an accident and so not covered under the warranty. Having both from one provider prevents that complexity.

Willow12 01:01 18 Jun 06

I would hope that accidental damage would not be an issue for a Desktop PC that will just sit in a corner and not move much in its life. Although I can see more of a need for such a policy on a laptop!

Well I ordered my PC today and went for the 1 year collect and return warranty. I took the line as others had said that most problems will occur in the first year anyway. It did allow me to improve the specs somewhat and still keep it below the 3 year warranty price, I had a 3GHz processor as opposed to a 2.8GHz and a better graphics card etc.

Now that it is ordered the only thing left to say is thanks for the replies and I will now show this one as resolved.

Cheers

Willow12

rdave13 01:04 18 Jun 06

In a word no. For the first 12 months you are covered by law for any failures of the product. Usually if anything goes wrong it will happen within the first twelve months.

Otherwise you will be extreamly unlucky!

By the way it isn't three years cover as the first twelve months are statuarty anyway.

spuds 09:56 18 Jun 06

Agree with Rdave13. Consumer law is a complex matter, which can leave many a question with a different answer, depending on who is giving and who is receiving.

In a case scenario like this computer, you would have an initial fall-back on the Distance Selling Regulations 2000. This would provide the facility to send the goods back for whatever reason within 7 days from receipt of goods (carriage fees, buyers responsibility unless goods faulty). You will also have protection under The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). This will put the onus on the supplier within the first six months, to correct any or most faults, as the goods could be deemed as faulty from day of manufacture. After the initial six months, consumer law changes slightly, as this first six months 'extra' protection reduces slightly.The customer may need to prove the item was faulty, instead of the other way round.

A point that many people are not aware about, is the six year ruling. Items like computers, maybe deemed to have a life expectancy possibly 'upto' six years or more. On that basis, the customer and the supplier could negotiate (using consumer laws) on future repair or 'warranty' cover.

Regarding Gandalf's suggestion about household insurance cover, if you have this type of insurance then check your policy, it may have hidden surprises like bfoc as suggested.Some insurance companies are getting very tight on how insurance claims are met, usually with the first exchange of letters denying any responsibilities due to the way the 'accident' was caused (saves the insurance companies, a vast amount of money over the years).

spuds 10:05 18 Jun 06

Further to the above, perhaps I could have mentioned The Unfair Contracts Act. But I am sure, most computer manufacturer would have this angle covered to the best of their advantage within presiding laws.But never the less, some contracts need very careful reading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…