3 Pin Plugs

carver 07:30 18 Mar 10

Sorry if it's already been posted but I have to get some of these click here A brilliant idea and why hasn't any body thought of it years ago.

Colin 08:16 18 Mar 10

Very good idea, but why do the sockets in the photo look like they've been dredged up from the bottom of a pond? Or is that The Register's sense of humour?

anchor 08:23 18 Mar 10

I agree, an excellent design. The main problem is that most/all electrical devices come with a fitted welded plug. The manufacturers will need to make the change.

Chris the Ancient 08:56 19 Mar 10

But... can you get a d.i.y fitting one? These don't look as though these have any screws on them so that they can be opened.

wiz-king 09:01 19 Mar 10

I wonder if the wires rotate with the pins or if there is a sliding contact strip in the body - either way it could cause over heating if the plug is used at anywhere maximum amperage.

carver 09:21 19 Mar 10

I think that it will be aimed more at the portable product with low amp usage, laptops would be an ideal use, no more having to worry about those 3 pins sticking out on a normal plug.

wiz-king 12:27 19 Mar 10

To be marketed in the UK it will need to useable at the full rated current of the BS/DIN standard for that type of connector ie 13A.

jakimo 13:28 19 Mar 10

A very clever innovation,

Perhaps Min-Kyo Choi will now create a cleaner just as brilliant to clean the wall socket

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:31 19 Mar 10

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I have seen something very similar in the late nineties.

G

anchor 13:42 25 Mar 10

There does not seem to be any space for a fuse.

bremner 14:32 25 Mar 10

anchor - if you look at the picture of the folded plug it clearly says it is fused - I think it is behind the red bit.

Gandalf - I remember working with some plugs from the 90's that had the 'handle' concept but were normal size. they were aimed at those with weak hands/wrists but were quite expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…