3 Monitor Set Up

karlroby 22:00 18 Jan 10

Hi Everyone,

I would like to be able to connect 3 monitors to my pc as i do alot of graphics design etc and i have a motherboard that supports the ATI crossfire technology so 2 graphics cards can be installed together.

Although generally this is to enhance gaming with the extra GPU power would i be able top use all the ports at the back of both graphics cards to have an extended display with 3 monitors?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Forum Editor 23:28 18 Jan 10

click here for a simple explanation of how it's done.

GaT7 15:21 19 Jan 10

If you use the two GPUs in non-Crossfire mode, you can indeed run 3-4 monitors. G

AL47 19:18 19 Jan 10

im running two

check out ATIs eyefinity too.

GaT7 20:46 19 Jan 10

Looks like ATI's Eyefinity (click here / click here) requires one monitor with a DisplayPort. From the footnotes:

"...and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector."

Review at click here. G

karlroby 21:07 19 Jan 10

Thanks for the replies.

The EyeFinity looks quite good until i read that the third display needed to be connected by diaplay port and i have 3 monitors with DVI on them.

I was looking on scans website and they seem to sell display port to DVI adaptors which i thought would work?

click here

The graphics card i was also looking at here if anyone has any suggestions?

click here

Thanks again

GaT7 21:34 19 Jan 10

I think the adapter you linked to is a 'passive' one, whereas apparently one needs an active adapter - going by discussion in this thread click here.

Also confirmed at click here. Atm, an active adapter costs ~£80 click here.

So it'll be much cheaper to get couple of ATI 4xxx series cards click here. G

GaT7 21:39 19 Jan 10

If you go down the Eyefinity + active adapter route anyway (i.e. despite it being more expensive), consider the cheaper HD5670 card: click here / click here / click here / click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…