3 mobile phone

cycoze 20:05 11 Nov 10

I had a text message from my mobile provider 3 (three .co .uk), the message said...

"Important info about your phone, on the 18th November your 3G sim card will stop working as it is being used in a 2G phone, to keep it working please purchase a 3G phone from a 3 store"

I phoned the customer services via land line as I could not get a signal on the mobile! not sure what the charges are for half an hour on 0843? I was put through to a call centre and explained the text to the chap on the other end, he said the sim card would not work in my new 2G phone and they (3) could sell me another 3G phone, I explained the sim had worked fine since the end of June when it was put into the new phone, and if it was to be cancelled could I have a refund of my PAYG, he said no, I asked to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor explained they cannot give a refund but can transfer the credit to another 3 card or keep the sim activated if I buy another 3 phone, I said I believed that to be unfair and could he give me their head office number, he replied they do not have a number and I would not get a refund, he also went on to state that my new phone was in fact obsolete as all networks were moving over to 3G and I would eventually need a new phone, I asked when was that going to be, he could not answer, I know technology moves on but I am certain 2G networks are not going to be shutdown any day soon.

I originally had an LG 3G phone which the card was in on PAYG, the battery died and my Daughter treated me to a new sim free Samsung GT-S5560, I have been using the new phone with the old sim sine Fathers day (June) without any problems, I have topped the sim up three times since getting it, there is £22.70 credit still remaining, I really do not see why I am not eligible to a refund if 3 decide to kill the sim.

Does anyone have their head office number as I have not been able to find it on their site, or any suggestions/advice on what to do next?

I will pop into a phone shop tomorrow and get a PAYG sim with another network for my obsolete 2G phone.

sunnystaines 20:21 11 Nov 10

i read earlier that three were scrapping 2g in areas that have 3g connections, as their 2g is leased from orange. and they want to free up more bandwidth. other operators are looking to follow suit if three is succesful.

cycoze 20:42 11 Nov 10

I am sure they are, but cannot see all networks doing it very quickly.

dms_05 13:57 12 Nov 10

'3' quite specifically state in their T&C's that they only allow 3G phones on their network and if you put a '3' SIM in a 2G phone they will switch if off. The reason they make this a term of service is they only operate a 3G network and if you use a 2G phone they have to pay another carrier for all the connection time you use. Seems reasonable as it's clearly stated in their information.

cycoze 19:34 12 Nov 10

Thanks for that I was obviously unaware of that hence the posting, odd that it has taken so long for anything to have been done about it.

I will give the card to a friend with a 3G phone so they can use the credit up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…