2nd HDD size?

spider9 10:34 24 Jan 05

Am about to buy a 2nd HDD and thinking about a 160Gb Maxtor - but have read somewhere (I think) that some computers will not be happy with a much bigger 2nd drive.
At present I have a 20Gb drive and my computer is almost 3 yrs old, XP Home.
Anyone comments on whether I may have problems?

Diodorus Siculus 11:08 24 Jan 05

IT will depend on your BIOS - some will not accept such a large disk without an update. Check the mobo manufacturer site for info. At 3 years though, I would think that you are ok.

pj123 11:46 24 Jan 05

My main hard drive is a 40gb and I have fitted second 120gb Maxtor hard drive but with windows 98SE it will only find it as a 32gb hard drive. I used Maxblast to install it and all running OK. Get Maxblast from click here

spider9 16:01 24 Jan 05

Thanks for the replies, my motherboard is ASUSTeK P4S333VM, I think, Belarc tells me this!? Make any sense??

Diemmess 16:19 24 Jan 05

Like pj123 says use Maxblast3. This simple software takes all the effort out of partitioning and formatting, doing in seconds what could have taken hours for such a large disk.

Consider partitioning the 160 Gb into smaller drives too, unless you have compelling reasons to stay with one whopper.

spider9 07:53 04 Feb 05

Finally obtained a Maxtor HDD and used it's software to formatt &partition.
No problems (as yet!!!).

Urotsukidoji 09:41 04 Feb 05

the problem you describe predominatley relates to block size, and is more of a concern with RAID configurations in servers where the block sizes of all the drives have to be the same size or larger, else system instability creeps in.

for 99.99% of home users this will be meaningless, and not a thing to worry about, but for businesses running 3.0TB+ NAS boxes etc it does become slightly more important.

HTH

U

spider9 15:37 04 Feb 05

Thanks for that reassurance, Urotsukidoji, and I am a home user only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…