Is a 28 day guarantee adequate?

Belinda 10:35 04 Jul 05

I bought a barebones kit from Novatech in November '04. The motherboard is failing: the fault seems to lie with the onboard graphics.

I've called the customer support helpline, but after 15 minutes on hold I couldn't afford to wait any longer. I faxed them on 30th June explaining the problem and asking how to return the faulty item. No response so far. Their website "returns request facility" says that unless I'm "Returning a confirmed faulty product within 28 days of purchase" no refund will be considered.

Am I unreasonable in thinking that 28 days is not a sufficient guarantee and that a product should last more than 6 1/2 months before failing?

LastChip 10:48 04 Jul 05

I think what they mean is, they will not refund your money after 28 days, but they will repair or replace during the guarantee period, which would normally be one year.

Certainly your normal consumer rights would protect you for longer than 28 days.

From their perspective, the problem with computer parts is, they could have been mishandled (or misdiagnosed) by the customer. I'm not suggesting you have, just pointing out reality.

But my (limited) experience of Novatech, is they are a well respected company, and I would doubt you would have any serious problems with them for a genuine problem.

Belinda 11:09 04 Jul 05

That's reassuring - thank you. I'll try contacting Novatech again.

spuds 17:34 04 Jul 05

LastChip as covered it all, but if you require further advice on consumer law, then look no further than click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…