256MB of RAM. 56% left

Crosby 09:28 20 Jan 03
  Crosby 09:28 20 Jan 03

Can anybody please tell me how I can increase the amount of Ram I have available which is now down to 56% of my 256 of Ram. I believe this should be at least 70%. Thank you.

Ranger 09:46 20 Jan 03

Buy another 256mb?, or close background programs etc. that you don't really need running and I suppose you could always try one of those memeory management programs, I have never used one though so don't know how good they are

scotty 10:32 20 Jan 03

This site has tips for optimising systems for video editing click here.

Some of the tweaks will increase available system resources.

Before you make such changes, are you sure you need to? With PCs, the best approach is to leave well alone unless you have a problem!

BRYNIT 18:05 20 Jan 03

I have the same. As it has not affected the performance of my computer I haven't changed anything.

You could close down screen savers, remove background pictures, reduce the colours, etc. These all take up resources.

jazzypop 18:20 20 Jan 03

If you had 70% or RAM available, it is lkely that many programs, sub-programs, components, services etc would be stored in virtual memory, i.e. on your hard drive. This is plainly much slower to access than RAM.

You may find that this site - click here - as well as the links within it, help you to optimise what you have, and reduce the effect of any memory-hogging programs

Crosby 22:58 20 Jan 03

Thank you all. I have 100MB in my C drive and 5GB in my D drive. I am continually being told I have not enough memory in my C drive and I have tried all that I believe are the usual things to do Temporary files etc. I will examine further your suggestions. I am running Windows 98 with a Pentium 2.

BRYNIT 01:07 21 Jan 03

If you want to improve your resources required.click here it will tell you what has loaded in startup and if it is required.

Ranger 01:31 21 Jan 03

How much of your c drive is used up, if I remember correctly you should try and keep about a 1/3rd of your C drive free (not 100% on amount but I think it is approx what I said)

tbh72 01:52 21 Jan 03

Email me for a quick fix. I used to use Rambooster & still have a copy here somewhere. At that time I had 128 mb of ram and it was essential. I can see it making a substantial difference with 256mb, but it's pretty worthless above this amount of ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…