256MB PC3200 DDR for £20-something at PC World

May the Schwarz be with you... 23:46 02 Jan 04

Hi, I saw an advert in The Sun today from PC World and they are doing half price at the moment on their RAM. I think it's made by PNY or something. Are they any good? I currently have a Crucial 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM in my XP 1700+ and GF4 Ti4200 PC. I'm tempted to buy some since my PC can be a bit slow at times and RAM prices have been quite high for some time now. If I bought this RAM, it would just run at PC2700 like my Crucial one right?

goonerbill 01:05 03 Jan 04

the thing with ddr ram it dont clock down, as far as i know so if you have pc2700 in your pc, pc3200 wont run at pc2700 (166mhz)

someone may prove me wrong, but thats what i have read.

researcher 22:41 05 Jan 04

Please check that your MB will cope with PC3200, my ASUS A7V333 will only support up to PC2700.

Flaco 06:05 06 Jan 04

with selecting RAM. I saw the offer in store and it's very tempting. However, specific RAM has to be matched to differing motherboards for a number of reasons (as best as I can make out). This is why decent websites will include links to Crucial's RAM selector application which helps you match the components precisely.

i've got an MSI KT3 ULTRA 2-R motherboard that acording to the msi website supports :-

Main Memory

• Support six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR DIMMs
• Support a maximum memory size up to 3GB
• Support 2.5v DDR200/266/333 DDR SDRAM DIMM

now as far as i've seen this means that it will only support up to pc2700 maybe i'm wrong but the crucial website is saying that i can put pc3200 in it.

can anybody tell me if this is right or wrong

cthooli 21:51 06 Jan 04

from my experience crucial is usually pretty square on but my experiences with PC World havent been too bad, but check (i realise its a sale but its worth a try) if u can return the RAM if it doesnt work. Or even offer to bring the comp in let them install it and see for them selves? just dont let thm give u a free PC health check....................!

rickf 14:53 07 Jan 04

I think your max is 2700ddr as far as I know.

i know it is m8 , thats why i was suprised that the crucial website said i could use 3200 , i clicked on quite a few boards that the msi website says only goes up to 2700 but crucial says that 3200 will work in them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…