24" Monitor - matt or gloss

Brettanicus 11:58 11 Jun 10

I am about to purchase a new 24" monitor (Full HD) and have shortlisted the Acer H243H, Samsung 2494HM and the Ilyama ProLite B2409HDS. My problem is that I need a screen with a matt finish rather than glossy as reflections are likely to be a problem where it will be situated and it seems very hard to find any info on this particular point. Any advice on which screens are matt would be gratefully received or on any other good monitors not mentioned above.

AL47 13:54 11 Jun 10

my 24in monitor falls out of youre price range but it is a matt finish

dell ultrasharp u2410

hssutton 13:59 11 Jun 10

I have the 24" HP monitor with glossy screen, never found reflections to be a problem.

As the main use of my PC/monitor is for photography I find the glossy screen a benefit as the "blacks" look much better

Brettanicus 21:22 11 Jun 10

The dell certainly looks a great monitor, but as you say, AL47, more than I want to pay. I am now thinking about S-PVA rather than TN technology and wonder if I would do better going for a 22" panel using S-PVA. The better viewing angles appeal. I am wondering about the HP LP2275w, does anyone own one? Also I am having 2nd thoughts about matt/glossy as I do photography as my main thing.

AL47 21:43 11 Jun 10

click here

this site has more info than you will ever need!!
its a good panel type and the colours on anything better other than a tn are something amazing when you first see it, that said, that monitor is not full hd

for comparison heres mine from a different site
click here

i got mine for 375 delivered with 5yr pixel perfect guarantee,

AlanHo 23:08 11 Jun 10

I have an LG Flatron W2753V which has a matt screen - full HD and a very sharp picture with very good blacks.

The extra 5" over my previous 22" screen (also an LG) makes quite a difference.

One of my friends has a 24" Ilyama which is nowhere near as sharp and contrasty as my LG. He is saving up his pennies to change it for either an LG or Samsung.

TopCat® 00:43 12 Jun 10

I have the HP LP2475w which is based on a IPS panel. It was a little pricey but has a 3 year manufacturer guarantee, a host of connections and is in my opinion well worth it. This favourable review clinched it for me. TC.

click here

Brettanicus 14:51 17 Jun 10

I have decided that size doesn't matter (much!) and have gone for the Dell which has fantastic reviews. It's a IPS panel and has a good price £223, cheaper than the HP. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced