£2000 3D printer

Dragon_Heart 22:43 22 Sep 10

Bits from Bytes offer their BFB 3000 £D printer at under £2000. click here

A 3D printer produces a solid object. This printer produces the object from plastic by taking a plastic filament, melting it and squirting it out - similar to a hot glue gun. The head is driven in the x and y directions to form a layer and at the end of each layer the print bed lowers to allow the next one to be laid down on top.

To produce your object you simply draw a 3D model using a CAD package & save it as a 'stereo lithography' file (STL file). This file is then converted to g-code to produce layers which will be printed.

Most small ( office )type 3D printers only build at a 'Vertical Build Speed' of about 20 mm / hour.

The one I saw used 'Digital Light Projection', a liquid polymer is exposed to light from a DLP projector. The light hardens the polymer and the build plate then moves down a small amount & the liquid polymer is again exposed to light. The process repeated until the model was built.

Great way to build railway models :-)

wiz-king 05:51 23 Sep 10

Shame, the financial controller (she who must be obeyed) wont let me have one to play with.

interzone55 17:08 23 Sep 10

I saw a program about Ikea on Discovery at the weekend and they use one of these babies for prototyping small objects like cutlery, it was fantastic.

They were originally developed, as is often the case, by the military for manufacturing spare parts for vehicles on site...

Jameslayer 20:55 23 Sep 10

My mate would love one but he cant afford one so he designs his own models here click here and he is very pleased iwth the service level. They also allow you to create a shop and sell stuff to other people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5