2 Lap tops one 4 homework and the other 4 work

brainstorm 19:14 10 Sep 07

My son needs a lap top for homework (he is a gamer, but uses his xbox and our desk top pc for games).

My friend, who is a bit tech phobic to say the least, finds she must now get one for her work. She is never likely to use games - honest, never, she'd prefer not to have a computer at all!

Neither of us want to spend very much more than £500-650 and guess that rules out many good gamers anyway.

However, its hard to spot a good all round 'work' machine as 'gamers' seem to dominate.

I am also not too clear if a Mac would be any better than a pc, albeit I have been led to believe the pc would be best for 'work' and Mac for games. However, the one spec my son has is MSOffice so I guess that's a pc for him.

Both are happy to stick with XP if still available/cheaper although my friend will need a lot of support so I am thinking PCWorld or Evesham - both just round the corner so she can pop in easily if need be.

However, to get one built to spec (i.e. work purposes only) I guess we need to go to someone like DELL, but while that's fine for me my friend is terrified of the idea.

Apart from psychotherapy for the friend can anyone offer any buying advice for my son and friend?

wjrt 20:12 10 Sep 07

click here
toshiba also have two outlet shops which seem to offer good prices and are a well respected name

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:58 10 Sep 07

click here 17" screen lappy (for your friend) for £600 and I wouldn't even bother looking any further.

G

brainstorm 21:01 12 Sep 07

Will follow up and hope they both enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…