1MB ADSL Broadband

Zak 22:17 26 Mar 04

I am considering upgrading from my current 512KB/sec service.

Most sites when browsing load fairly quickly

I do not use my internet connection for gaming or constant downloading of very large files. Ocassionally I watch streamed video.

Any views as to whether it is worthwhile paying out the extra £7 to £10 per month?

Forum Editor 23:02 26 Mar 04

based on how much you want a bit of extra speed.

I use the Internet a great deal, as you can imagine and I have not made the move to a 1Mb service. For me the extra turn of speed isn't sufficiently impressive to justify the additional cost.

leo49 23:40 26 Mar 04

Well I for one wouldn't go back to 512 - makes such a difference when downloading and using flash sites.But as FE says you've got to weigh it up according to your internet usage and the opportunity cost.

simonp1 08:28 27 Mar 04

i must admit, i have thought long and hard about this..i do alot of gaming..but after many conversations i have decided its not personally going to benifit me. If you do a lot of downloading..then it will, but the whole issue really is, whats your budget and do you use it enough to get the value for money.

byfordr 09:39 27 Mar 04

When I was looking for my Dad the average prices for half a meg connection was about £23 (£27/28 - BT)I was already using the 2mb service with these guys click here (£37.50) and saw they did a 1mb for £27.50 inc. I went round a friends who had standard BT 512k bb, it seemed so slow incomparision. I'm glad I got him the 1mb connection. Downloads go through a lot quicker (subject to the site you are downloading from) have a look at click here I personally would say the few quid extra is worth the cost.

HTH

R

anchor 09:53 27 Mar 04

I have had 512 from Pipex for 2 years, and find it adequate. The only exception is receiving streaming video, when the extra speed could make an improvement.

However, as I only do this occasionally, I do not think the extra cost is worth it. At then end, its your decision.

Forum Editor 11:06 27 Mar 04

OK - you've convinced me. I've just ordered the upgrade to the BT.Yahoo 1Mb service to see for myself. I can downgrade again in 3 months with no penalty if I want to, so plenty of time to do a proper evaluation.

I suspect that what I call the 'dishwasher syndrome' will operate here - you don't think it's necessary until you've got it, then you wonder how you lived without it.

The Spires 12:28 27 Mar 04

My regrade to 1 meg should be completed on Wednesday. I was concerned that my line might not be up to it but it seems it is. :-) :-)

leo49 12:38 27 Mar 04

Problem is familiarity breeds contempt and is habit forming.Switching from 56 to 512 was great but you soon get used to it and want more - same with 1gb and soon you're researching 2gb suppliers. Broadband should perhaps only be available on prescription.......

Forum Editor 12:52 27 Mar 04

with the efficiency of the BT.Yahoo upgrade process. A quick phone-call to the help-desk (waited no more than a minute or so)did the trick - an online line test to check that I can move from 512kbps to 1Mb, followed by a billing amendment, and I was signed up.

The changeover requires an engineer's visit to my exchange apparently, and that will be done within 7 days. I'll receive a call on my mobile from the engineer who's actually doing the changeover because I have to be offline for 30 minutes while he/she does the work.

Amyfa 13:12 27 Mar 04

Been upgraded to 1MB for about 2 weeks now :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…