19" TFT suitable for gaming

anchor 13:46 05 Apr 05

Quote from an e-mail I received:

"The Samsung SyncMaster 913N has a response time of 8 m/s. The TFT Active Matrix Monitor, with a screen size of 19", features a super-slim narrow bezel and supports a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024".

click here

I have an 19" Samsung TFT and the picture is really excellent. The 913N is priced at £239 here:

click here

freaky 11:55 06 Apr 05

It would appear to be OK, the 8msec response time is the best I have seen, and the price is excellent.

I am using a 17" Iiyama Prolite E435S which has a response time of 10msec, this is faultless and copes great with Half Life-2 and Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle-Earth.

Hope this helps.

Jdoki 15:12 06 Apr 05

Response times are not always indicative of performance, especially in gaming... for example the Sharp 172G is a 12ms TFT (I believe) and excellent for gaming, but I've seen an 8ms Benq perform quite poorly with a small, but noticable amount of ghosting (both 17" TFT's).

Also colour reproduction is important, as some TFT's either darken or wash out colours which ruins games like Doom 3 which rely on shadows, as they seem to meld together and lose definition and variation of tone.

Finally, until 1600x1200 is mainstream for 19" TFT's I don't really see the point. I have a 19" CRT on which I play pretty much everything from Doom 3, Half Life 2 to World of Warcraft at 1600x1200, so, for me, the extra 'screen real-estate' a 19" TFT brings is wasted by 'only' being able to display at 1280x1024.

(I don't believe there is a 1600x1200 19" TFT that is suitable for gaming - yet)

Starfox 16:10 06 Apr 05

" TFT suitable for gaming

I just don't believe that such a thing exists.:0)

I play online games a lot and when I changed my monitor to TFT I never won a game.Even taking into account that I might be a lousy player I had not had this problem before and when a friend in IT suggested that my brand new TFT could be responsible I thought he was taking the mick but I changed back to CRT anyway.

I then got back to the standard of game playing I had reached before so I can only put it down to the monitor,and I still have no idea why.

The 17"TFT montor is back in it's box awaiting a good home.

anchor 16:18 06 Apr 05

I confess!!; I am not a gamer, but I thought the spec: sounded good.

I know the superb quality of the Samsung 19" TFT screen from the photo work I do. I am very particular and demand excellent image quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…