17" laptop for photos.

Mike_R 13:08 05 Jan 09

I'm thinking about getting a laptop for viewing my photos as I seem to have spent a fortune in the past on paper and inks. I'm not bothered about blistering speed as I do not play games and I have a desktop.
As well as having a good quality screen, the laptop would have to be reasonably tough as a secondary use when connected to a GPS would be for navigation on a yacht.
I do not want to pay above £500, and would welcome any suggestions.

pcmags 14:19 05 Jan 09

Suggest you look at morgan computers @ click here

Mike_R 17:25 05 Jan 09

Thanks. I'm scaling down my requirements and am now looking for a cheapo 15.4" laptop but still with a good screen.

curofone 18:12 05 Jan 09

If i was you what i would do is go into somewhere like pcworld and actually have a play around on some of their display models and see which screens you like as what i might consider to be a good screen you might not. Once you have found some laptops with screens you like then come home and look up the model numbers on the net and see if you can get them cheaper, also see if there are any other models from the same manufacturers that have the same screens but with better specs for the same price.

pcmags 18:13 05 Jan 09

Try @ click here

iscanut2 19:54 05 Jan 09

I bought one of these for a friend recently and it is a very nice pc
click here;_Intel%C2%AE_C2D_T5750_Processor_431003.html

Kevscar1 19:55 05 Jan 09

What about this one

click here

curofone 20:25 05 Jan 09

That advent is a pretty shocking machine to be honest, one it is an advent which means that you have to get support through DSG and if you ever need something like a replacement mobo after the warranty over you are buggered as dsg will normally charge through the roof for them as they know you have to go through them.

The spec is pretty poor, is an old dual core processor, not even a core 2 duo, it has a lot of ram but it is slow 667mhz and i know you can get laptops with faster ram in it at at cheaper prices. Perosnally would want a 250gb hard drive for that price and the integrated graphics are pretty weak. You are really paying over the odds for the machine just becuase it has a blu-ray drive and this machine does not even have a HDMI port and it requires a bios update to get the blu-ray working.

As for the samsung well at first I actually thought it was ok for the price but bit disappointing that only has 2gb RAM and then i saw the integrated graphics, an x1250, that is terrible I have a budget machine that is nearly 2 years old that has integrated graphics better than that.

Seriously if i was you go to pcw and look at the entry level HP's and Sony's and see if you like their screens. I think that is definatly the way to go.

Mike_R 21:04 05 Jan 09

Thanks everyone. I'm putting the project on hold for a while until I evaluate more deeply the merits of taking a laptop on a boat. So far, my enquiries are putting the cost of electronic navigation too high for my limited cruising range.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…