17 inch notebook for home use (vacation)

doc69 18:00 18 May 04

I'd like to take a 17" notebook along for my 3D hobby on vacation. Not to use it on the road but only on my vacation destination, so I nearly don't need batteries as I plug it in in the mains.
People tell me Acer is rather bad quality but Rock Quaddra is to expensive with it's 1500 £.I was rather looking for something about 1100 £.
Any tips

Sir Radfordin 18:11 18 May 04

Don't know where the people telling you about problems with Acer are getting their information from, but it doesn't ring true with most other reports. Acer are a leading laptop manufacturer and supply models to be rebadged as well as their own brand. They have a very good track record and supply very good laptops.

There is very little to choose from with Laptops apart from price/spec as most are made by four or five big companies - it is a very different market to desktop PCs.

Any high street name like Mesh, Evesham, Dell, Sony, Hi-Grade, IBM will be able to offer you something that will be suitable.

doc69 18:43 18 May 04

talking about the acer Aspire 1705SMI (3D mark test, no graphics processor), my computer shop was also complaining.

Sir Radfordin 19:15 18 May 04

click here and apparently it has NVidia GeForce FX Go5600 - 128 MB which should be more than enough.

What was your computer shop complaining about? Did they not have a suggestion for you?

And just because one Acer got a bad review doesn't make them all bad. Was the review just for this model or did others get included in the test?

ch0pper 02:18 19 May 04

17" notebook?

There's no real choice, is there? You've gotta get the Apple.

computernerdiamnot 08:31 19 May 04

There are oly three big manufactres that build Laptops and acer are one all toshibas, HPs ect give a spec and these companies build them that is why so many different makes have the same chassis. Regards to the acer you mentioned and the review that could be said of all vendors.

At the end of the day you have to look for what caters for your needs and work from there. Also with the acer which there are some fantastic deals it comes with a one year international warranty which cannot be said of other vendors plus there extra warranty is only £99 which also includes accidental damage.

I for one am a happy acer user.

Sir Radfordin 17:07 19 May 04

I see this issue has been resolved - are you going to share your choice with us?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…