1&1 - paying twice for domain name

Paul669 16:38 06 Jan 08

I'm completely new to all this but yesterday I registered a domain name with 1&1 and then set up a web hosting package with them, paying all the necessary fees. They set me up with 2 accounts, one for my domain name and one for my hosting package. However, the domain name they gave me for the hosting is something different from the domain name I registered.
When I contacted them they said "Pointing domain that is hosted with us to one of our hosting package is not possible. You will need to transfer the domain from one of your package to the other".
To do this I need to pay the domain registration fee again (£3.07/year). Surely this can't be right? All I want to do is use the domain name with the web hosting package.

silverous 16:44 06 Jan 08

It sounds like some kind of administrative error or registration error i.e. the domain name and hosting should all be with them. Perhaps you registered the two separately when joining up? In any case I'd escalate it with their customer services, you have everything you need to have with them by the sound of it and you aren't trying to transfer anything into them from outside. I can't tell exactly where the problem occured but if you did register the two separately with them, instead of one account, tell them you made a mistake and could they combine the two?

Depending on how long ago you registered the accounts etc. you should have a cooling off period I would've thought so worst case tell them you'll be wanting to cancel everything then start again with them or someone else (fasthosts are pretty good when they aren't suffering from potential security breaches!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos