10x optical zoom

Tenner 23:08 04 Aug 03

Fuji have just announced their next step forward - the S5000 with 10x optical zoom - don't forget your tripod !

click here

Regards

Djohn 23:21 04 Aug 03

I'm getting excited already, and it's all your fault! ;o)

Stuartli 08:43 05 Aug 03

Nothing exceptional about a 10x zoom - the fact that the S5000 appears to be more akin to a proper film SLR such as my Ashai Pentax Spotmatic or Nikon F401 body(which houses a Tamron 28-200mm zoom just a fraction larger than a standard lens) is far more interesting.

Too many of today's digital cameras are far too small, dainty and with tiny controls for other than general snapshots (although the pix are fine and the pocketable convenience first class).

snoresloudly 20:46 05 Aug 03

Looks the dogs, shame not out till sept then at a price to be fixed!, however seems to be selling overseas at around $450, maybe, just maybe she will let me spend some money!

Giantsquid 22:59 05 Aug 03

Tell you what, it's a good looker wouldn't mind a little play with that, let's hope the price is as good as it looks, It appears that Digital design is starting to drop off in favour of the good old slr, I have a Fuji Finepix 2800 and it too is a bit more of a slr than the usual design of a dc and you at least can get your mitts round it, I'm a bag of nerves with some of the usual digital designs especially if the camera is very light, too many are small and fiddly.

H-J 14:07 06 Aug 03

Strange how so many expensive (professional?) digitals resemble 35mm slr's. coincidence?

Djohn 15:00 06 Aug 03

Not really! its the same reason that the medium price digi cameras resemble Compact 35ml cameras. j.

Tenner 15:56 06 Aug 03

I would suggest it's all to do with design and functionallity on one hand versus the public's perception of what a camera should look like ie what they have been accustomed to over a number of years. Back in the 70's Yashica introduced the Samurai - a real quirky little number that, with hind-sight resembled,a Mk1 version of some of today's camcorders. Good quality lens and all that, but like so many other companies' attempts to break the design mould, it flopped.

If I emember correctly, Minolta tried a 'flat' design - it was held like a paperback with the lens mounted in the spine ( if I've made myself clear ? )Flop ! But the dsign was ( briefly ) resurrected some time later for an instametic-type camera, if I remember correctly.

Nikon tried it, to a much smaller extent, with the EM1 - or some such - they simply smoothed out the contours of the penta-prism head. Very stylish, it wouldn't been out of place alongside today's SLRs, but it lookeds too 'plasticy' and was soon dropped.

It's all to do with PP -Punter's Perception, I feel.

Regards

Stuartli 18:33 06 Aug 03

I've used all manner of cameras over a period of more than 50 years.

Of all of them the one that stood out, for me at least, as the most comfortable to hold, operate and produce (into the bargain) superb photographs was the Ashai Pentax S1; the Spotmatic was a 1984 development of the design that brought through the lens metering into being.

Ashai also invented the instant return mirror, a logical progression from the East German Pratica models much earlier that just raised the mirror to allow a shot to be taken.

Presumably the reason that digital cameras are being more like film cameras, especially SLRs, is because not only photographers are familiar with them, but they have also stood the test of time regarding ease of use and control layout.

Too many current digital cameras, in the race to get smaller, have become almost impossible to use naturally; it must be a nightmare attempting to take pix with one the size and very little more depth than a credit card.

My very compact Minolta Dimage E203 takes cracking pix, but most of the time I'm having to clean the TFT screen because my cheek catches it when looking through the viewfinder.

Wilham 20:08 06 Aug 03

Stuarti: The Spotmatic wasn't the first thro' the lens metering. It was intended to be the first spot-metering SLR; earlier SLR systems were all with integated meters,ie the sensor read reflected light. Spot reading was supposed to measure luminosity of any chosen point on the screen,as then in the movie industry. Tech trouble with this apart, it was/is a splendid camera. Also you have the date wrong by about twenty years. (I guess it was 1964)
Tenner: I admit I'm not sure, but isn't the blurb on this Fuji S5000 an example of hype?
If outside resemblance to an SLR is as far as it goes, what's the point other than success ass'n.
Also, can you be sure that the 3.1M effective pixels and the 6.1M recorded are not the result of a 5X zoom being converted to a 10X by digital means? Many of us are critical of digital zoom. If it isn't this, what do the pixel numbers mean?
Intepolation?

Wilham 20:14 06 Aug 03

OK, a question mark missing and interpolation needs the p. Eyes getting on a bit, if you forgive the pun.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…