1 x 2gb or 2 x1gb memory with Intel e8400

chris_rolly 20:13 25 Mar 08

Just recieved some advice from a company who build pc's and they suggested I choose a 1 into 2gb rather than the other way around to ensure I have room for future upgrades if needed.

I dont understand this. Does it make sense? Does this sound like the correct memory to comlpliment an E8400 ?

GaT7 20:34 25 Mar 08

It depends. I always try to go for a motherboard with 4 RAM slots (as opposed to 2), & get my RAM in pairs for dual-channel functionality.

So 2x 1Gb would be better than 1x 2Gb. BUT if the motherboard you're getting only has 2 slots, then the latter may be desirable, even if you lose out a little on dual-channel.

Of course, if you get a 4-slot motherboard then you can opt for 2x 1Gb.

The E8400 won't be affected either way. G

carver 09:28 27 Mar 08

The only problem with trying to add more memory afterwards is that to get the memory to work properly it has to be a matched pair.

You are far better to go for 2x1GB sticks of memory, they will work better and the company should know this.

If you know what mobo you are haveing go onto the Crucial website and that will give you the imformation you need.

Totally-braindead 09:43 27 Mar 08

I agree with Crossbow7 it depends on whether the board can take dual channel RAM or not and how many slots it has.

I would not choose a board with only 2 slots if it could use dual channel RAM as if I upgraded later on I would have to get rid of the existing memory. If it cannot support dual channel memory then theres no problem, you just install one 2 gig module leaving one slot free for later.

GaT7 11:57 27 Mar 08

carver, though preferable, it doesn't HAVE to be a matched pair. Ideally, they just need to be the same spec, speed (& have the same latency timings at times) - these aren't too hard to match between RAM from different manufacturers. [In fact, on my Gigabyte motherboard I've mixed 3 different RAM brands & have them in 3-slots (1Gb+256+256) - as opposed to the usual 2 or 4 slots 'required' for dual-channel - & they still run in dual-channel! Admittedly not all motherboards are capable of this!]

T-b, actually thinking about it, where would one find a motherboard these days that didn't support dual-channel RAM? Looks like chris_rolly's having a new PC built, as opposed to upgrading a current one whose motherboard may not support dual-channel.

Anyway, I've read that benefits of dual-channel are debateable. Though preferable, the gains aren't as great over single-channel as we're made to think (for the majority of users anyway). And you probably know that it's better to have more memory overall than less memory in dual-channel. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009