0870 phone numbers theft. Why is it allowed?

Pappyon 16:34 05 Aug 04

I wonder how many members in this forum realise that every time they dial an 0870 number that they are being charged up to 8p per minute, and that up to half of that amount is going into the company's bank account. Type "0870 numbers" into your search engine and you will find a proliferation of phone companies selling these numbers to businesses.

You could be phoning in to make a complaint, or query why your order has not arrived, or anything to do with the said company's inefficiency, or even booking a holiday, and you are paying over the odds for your phone call.

Even the smaller companies are changing over to these 0870 numbers. There should be a law against it.

Sir Radfordin 16:40 05 Aug 04

Why should there be a law against it? What would that law be..."no profit making company should make a profit"

As long as the charges are made clear to the caller then I see no problem in this.

Pappyon 16:46 05 Aug 04

I am sorry to say that you have totally missed the whole point of my post, so I shall say no more.

Stuartli 17:29 05 Aug 04

Nobody's missing the point - it's well known and also includes 0871 numbers such as the fax numbers provided by Tiscali for its fax to e-mail service.

Pappyon 17:39 05 Aug 04

I thought you would stick your oar in. Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas. Nuff said!!

Stuartli 17:49 05 Aug 04

You merely show yourself in your true colours with such remarks.

Wes Tam ;-) 18:19 05 Aug 04

Sir Radfordin I think you're being a bit flippant with your comment ..."no profit making company should make a profit"

I think Pappyon's point was based on his second paragraph and it does seem wrong that a company should make a additional profit from their customers grief.

Magik ®© 18:38 05 Aug 04

in life everyone is after your loot, and if you let them they will have it.

who does anything for nothing? it is the way of the world...........

oresome 20:58 05 Aug 04

I doubt that many people know how much it costs to call lots of telephone numbers, especially with number portability across networks.

Strange state of affairs really. How many other services do you use where the cost is only known after the event?

Urotsukidoji 21:25 05 Aug 04

if you are that upset about dialing 0870 numbers phone the samaritans.

they care.

on the otherhand don't. they are on an 0845 number also rated @ 8p per minute.

jolorna 22:10 05 Aug 04

anybody can have a 0870 number if they want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…