0709 Mobile number Scam £50 a minute???

Border View 16:56 18 Feb 04

I've been redirected from Help room with this one. Djohn has already said it was a hoax but thought I would ask for further comments.

I have just read in another forum about a mobile phone scam which tells you you have missed a call and please telephone 0709 ....... and it is supposed to charge you £50 a minute. OK this might be a premium rate, but did I not read on here somewhere that you cannot be charged £50 a minute even on a mobile phone?

Would love to hear your comments.

bremner 17:35 18 Feb 04

As has been said this is a hoax and if you look at here click here under

"£20 Per Minute Telephone 'Scam' - An Urban Myth" - it clearly states

"A £20.00 per minute premium rate tariff does not exist the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute"

Forum Editor 17:46 18 Feb 04

in various forms for some time now, and as others have said - it's a total hoax. Just ignore these urban myths when they come along, as they will from time to time.

Smiler 18:29 18 Feb 04
  carver 19:16 18 Feb 04

Just seen the news and the lastest scam is to answer a missed called which if you reply the charge can be very high, £3 a minute, counting from the first second. Be on for ten seconds £3, be on for 61 seconds £6. So Barmoor is correct but a little on the high side as far as price is concerned.

accord 21:09 18 Feb 04

Of those people who ring an 0709 number when they are advised that they have missed a call and then moan when they have been charged £3 per min deserve all they get. Its like the one where you send me £10 and i'll give you a share of the Canadian $25m lottery. yeah right.

Your mobile will tell you have a missed call and you can then tell which number called you.

Border View 22:22 18 Feb 04

Many thanks for your postings. Shall tell my "other forum" and tick resolved.

scotty 12:42 19 Feb 04

The £50/min part may be a hoax, but the scam appears to be real click here

Smiler 16:55 19 Feb 04

Just had a call on my land line started by telling me I had an important message this went on to tell me I had won £1000 or a £2000 prize and to press any button on my phone to continue. So i pressed the red one to disconnect. Anyone heard of this one before.

Djohn 17:09 19 Feb 04

Just received a text 5 minutes back.

Congratulations you have just won £2000 Call 0871 210 3745 only 10p per minute BT national rate. :o(

cara 00:01 20 Feb 04

Even I do not know my mobile number!

I use my phone very sparingly and usually only for family or friends. I am sure the only source my number could be found for these companys is BT? So just how is your mobile number acquired?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…