02 Broadband

Si_L 02:19 12 Aug 09

My family has recently moved from Tiscali to 02's Broadband. With Tiscali, we were paying £15 p/m for 8mb, and getting around 1-2 mb, with 02 we are paying under a tenner for 20mb and getting 10-16, so for starters thats a massive cut in price and jump in performance.

Today the connection started acting up for the PC's on the network that were wireless. I went on the wired one to grab their number so I could call them in the morning, and to my surprise they had an 0800 number, in a 24hr UK call centre. A quick call and the problem was sorted.

So if anyones thinking of changing providers, 02 get my vote :)

GaT7 02:26 12 Aug 09

I'm with O2 too - for the last 16 months. Been absolutely brilliant. G

laurie53 07:18 12 Aug 09

O2 modem in the box ready to go, hopefully service will be set up today.

This thread makes the day feel good already!

spuds 11:35 12 Aug 09

Having read all the reports and reviews, 02 seem to be one of the best ISP's available, especially for 'good customer service'.

I am with Tiscali, but since the Talk Talk takeover, Tiscali customers have been promised many greater things in the forthcoming months!.

What I cannot understand is how someone can get a very low speed rating with their existing ISP, yet in the case like Si_L mentions, the changeover can make a vast difference, using the same infrastructure of BT supply and network.

Confab 11:49 12 Aug 09

Been with O2 since the beginning and I cannot rate them highly enough. I pay just under £10 per month and get about 12 meg uncapped download. Set up was easy – just plug in and go! The help line is free and when I’ve needed to call they have answered quickly and have resolved the issue over the phone.

Esc4p3 12:20 12 Aug 09

Another satisfied o2 customer here, been with them just over a year. Phoned their customer services a couple of times and they are really easy to deal with. As part of the o2 package you get a small applet that you can launch to help you with any problems, which includes a live chat window if you wanted to get in touch that way. I get on average about 7mb of my 8mb connection (and it is uncapped with a fair use policy) and being an o2 pay as you go mobile customer means I can get this service for £7.34 a month :)

Spuds, o2 uses ADSL2, I have read this can really help getting a faster connect over 'normal' ADSL.

KremmenUK 13:06 12 Aug 09

O2 here as well. I use OpenDNS though and not their own servers as I find it slightly quicker.

exdragon 15:15 12 Aug 09

Another satisfied customer - they gave me the first year free as I'd had an o2 mobile for ages. When the contract renewed, they said it would go up to £5 a month, which was fair enough. They are actually taking £2.45 a month.

I'd echo the customer service too - the advisors don't just stick to a script, but ask questions which are relevant to your enquiry.

Pine Man 16:03 12 Aug 09

'What I cannot understand is how someone can get a very low speed rating with their existing ISP, yet in the case like Si_L mentions, the changeover can make a vast difference, using the same infrastructure of BT supply and network.'

It's because O2, like several others, have carried out 'loop unbundling' at the exchange, which means suppliers like O2 can install their own particular brand or style of broadband, with differing speeds and download limits to those offered by BT.

Si_L 16:26 12 Aug 09

The other thing I forgot to mention was that when I phoned, they asked if I was the account holder, and I said that I wasn't, as it is under my Dads name, and I was expecting him to ask for the account holder, but he instead gave me 'general' advice to help with the problem, which turned out to be exactly right. I don't mind getting a problem with the line, Tiscali had many of these, but I am more confident knowing there is a first rate support team ready to help whatever time of day for free. Its how they deal with it is the deciding factor for me.

Plus we also got 2 months free and the free router, its turned out to be a brilliant switch so far.

laurie53 18:27 12 Aug 09

Update on my earlier post - took the wrapping off the router at 1745, reading this thread at 1815!

Amazing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac