XP machine running like a dog

pbrstreetgang 17:16 26 Feb 04

I'm running XP with a AMD Athlon 1.25 Ghz processor and 256 Mb of ram. My system is SLOW SLOW SLOW!!! My internet connection is terrible and even when i just try to write a letter with Word, the system is so slow it's painful. I'm not a whizz kid by any stretch of the imagination, so please keep any advice very very simple. Can anyone help? Cheers.

hector 911 17:23 26 Feb 04

Do a clean with XP "Disk cleanup" found in your system tools, clear temp files, and then I would defrag your drive.

As for the internet running slow, clear all your cookies in IE, Right click on IE choose properties and clear cookies

JJCUK 18:02 26 Feb 04

upgrade your memory I would think should help

Indigo 1 18:15 26 Feb 04

Yes I agree with JJCUK. .. 256Mb is not enough for XP to run properly, get another 256 and stick that in go to click here

tenplus1 18:36 26 Feb 04

It's not your memory... I've got 256mb and XP runs nice and fast...

Set your swapfile to 390mb for min and max,

clear out your temporary internet files and cookies,

Get a good Spyware program like Search & Destroy and make sure you dont have nasties sapping your processor and memory,

Get a good Antivirus program like AVG Antivirus 6.0 FREE edition for the same thing, nasties,

Scandisk and Defrag your hard-drive to speed up disk access,

Do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and check what processes are sapping your processor also, this might be a program fault causing your computer to slow right down...

woodchip 18:40 26 Feb 04

How many programs you got starting when the comp starts up. Go Start\Run type MSCONFIG remove ticks from programs that do not need to run. Now clear Internet Cache Files and History, also Temp files. Run Scandisk and Defrag

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 26 Feb 04

click here - further to woodchip's suggestion. Reduce the number of processes running at start up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…