xp machine keeps dialling the internet

rsturbo 19:38 05 Jan 04

i have turned off all startup programs, unchecked all systray progs, checked for virus / trojans etc, ran spybot the only thing i have not done is install a firewall with alerts to tell me what is dialling the internet all the time. can't do this yet in case it changes any of my networking settings (on my intranet). have disconnected both machines networked to this pc so its not them accessing the net. is there a program that can tell me what is accessing the net but without changing any settings?

thanks for any help

have turned off windowsupdate

PA28 19:59 05 Jan 04

Have you been into MSConfig and disabled the myriad of startup services that lurk there? Otherwise suggest ZoneAlarm (free, and clean uninstall in my book). Can't promise how it will affect your network settings, but it can be manually configured. And the basic version is free and will tell you all you need to know as it happens.

anon1 21:12 05 Jan 04

You could open a command prompt and try "netstat" to see what is open

Biogeg 22:13 05 Jan 04

Just a simple thought have you been to control panel,internet settings,connections.Click Never dial an internet connection. Just a thought

lotvic 01:29 06 Jan 04

a rogue dialer may have installed itself - check your telephone bill - they run at about £1 a minute!

download 'Hijack This' to see if your settings have been hijacked it will check it out and then it can be fixed. It is on this site click here
and loads of info on what to do is there as well

Jester2K 07:21 06 Jan 04

Simpler to run Adaware click here nd / or SpyBot click here

Update and scan

rsturbo 01:54 07 Jan 04

but to no avail, this is very strange....

Jester2K 07:36 07 Jan 04

Have you installed a firewall (ZoneAlarm etc) as it will tell you whats trying to dial out?

PA28 19:25 07 Jan 04

Ha! We agree again! See my earlier post..

plsndrs3 19:27 07 Jan 04

Was there anything there?

Paul

Jester2K 21:44 07 Jan 04

Doh! My secret is out. I just copy others postings... ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…