XP Activation on Time Machine

PA28 20:42 07 Oct 04

My son's PC needs a reinstall of XP, but as it came from Time there was no system or recovery disk supplied. What we have got is the genuine XP Home label with the Product Registration Key.

Am I right in thinking that I can reinstall XP from my own original XP Disk and simply enter his Product Key when prompted?

stalion 20:52 07 Oct 04

if it is a time pc you should have had a cd to restore the computer to it's factory settings

PSF 21:26 07 Oct 04

It will work it is the product key that is the important part. It has to be unique to 1 pc only.
I have done that on other pc's that have had the same problem with a recovery partion and no cd.

PA28 22:12 07 Oct 04

stalion - apparently not supplied at the Time (sorry, no pun intended!). Just a note that we can contact Time and buy a recovery disk. His machine is a couple of years old, hence I'm hoping to be able to reinstall (legally) from my disks without the rigmarole of contacting Time.

PSF - thanks. That's what I was hoping for, someone that's actually done it.

ste_bla 23:02 07 Oct 04

I've done it!

If you do it from your disc make sure you find out the Mobo and GFX models and download the drivers for them as you wont have them and therefore certain things may not work properly (learns from mistakes!)

PA28 08:46 08 Oct 04

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…