Word and Macros

Goldcroft 16:09 08 May 03

Just recently, after months of untroubled access, whenever I launch Word a Security Warning box pops up warning me that a Caere certificate signing or issuer) has expired. It gives me the option to either disable or enable macros + a warning about viruses. Whichever I click the problem persists. When I click on Details option it tells me that the certificate was valid from 15.7.99 to 15.7.00. The Caere certificate presumably relates to Omnipage, which I got with my Canon scanner at the same time as the printer -in mid 2002. Has there been some falling out between Canon and Caere?

Regardless of whether I click the disable or enable macros options I then get a Microsoft Visual Basic box telling me that macros are disabled.

Am not aware that I use any particular macros. How can I get rid of this annoyance please?

VoG™ 16:59 08 May 03

It might be an add-in.

Open Word, Templates and add-ins and untick any add-ins that seem to be related to the problem.

Goldcroft 23:16 08 May 03

Just tried that and unticked the only item under add ins - AWARE97.dot - but it hasn't solved the problem. But thanks for reply.

VoG™ 23:25 08 May 03

Possibly the default document template is corrupted.

Do a search for NORMAL.DOT and rename all instances to ABNORMAL.DOT

You will need to use the option in search to look for hidden files and folders.

Start Word and it will create a new NORMAL.DOT

Goldcroft 07:07 09 May 03

VoG: Have just done the search for normal.dot and it came up with three answers: one called normal.dot, another called Normal (My Documents) and one called Normal C:\Documents and settings. Clicking on all three of them came up with the Security Warning Caere Corp then Visual Basic boxes. So I just deleted them all.

I have just opened Word, and guess what, I still have the same problem. Will now reboot to see if that solves anything. Thanks for your replies.

Goldcroft 07:18 09 May 03

Rebooted, but the problem was still there. Did a search for the aware97.dot file which I mentioned in an earlier posting. Found two - both relating to Caere (Omnipage)and deleted them both. Launched Word and problem seems to have been solved. Whether I can still use Omnipage is another matter, but that's not a huge loss.

Thanks again for your help.

Lozzy 07:21 09 May 03

This issue is related to Omnipage. To stop the msg appearing un-install this program by way of Add/Remove programs then go into Windows Explorer and remove the remnants left behind. Re boot and then re install Omnipage. If that does not cure the issue then you will need to un-install as above and then remove any related entries in the registry.

To do this
Click in start>>Run then type reg-edit, look for Hkey_Current_User then click the + beside Software remove and lines that say Omnipage, HOWEVER BEFORE DOING THIS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST then repeat action above under Hkey_cal_Machine.

Once completed re boot then re-install Omnipage this will renew the certificate.

REMEMBER BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…