Wireless routers with a Mac and PC

pj123 17:35 26 May 05

I installed a Belkin wireless router and a Belkin wireless adapter on a friends two computers (his and wife). They are on NTL Broadband and both computers can now access the internet at the same time (the main computer with the router has to be up and running, of course). His son and partner now also want to do the same thing but: his son has a PC but his partner has a Mac and doesn't want to change. Will it work. These two computers are also on NTL broadband. At the moment they are running a cable from one to the other as and when each wants to access the internet, but not at the same time. The Belkin products are F5D7230 Wireless Router and F5D7001 Wireless adapter. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't providing the router is connected to the Mac and the adapter to the PC. But would just like confirmation/comments. I have also emailed Belkin but have not received any response yet.

pj123 20:49 26 May 05

Sorry Guys for bumping this, but hopefully, somone out there in Forum land might give a response before Belkin as I need to recommend (or not) the outlay of around £74. I am not going to be very well liked, if, after spending that amount it doesn't work?

AndySD 21:03 26 May 05

Hi pj

I have only hardwired macs into lans (no help there for this ) but which mac model.

belt&braces 21:12 26 May 05

Hi

if you look here click here at this Belkin site, it tells you what you need for the set up including using Mac's.

pj123 21:17 26 May 05

Thanks AndySD. I suppose it doesn't have to be wireless as it is only in the next room, not miles away. As for which Mac is it, well that's something I don't know at present but I can find out. I thought all Mac's were the same??? You know, it's a PC or a Mac.

The main thing here is: The Mac works on NTL BB on it's own. The PC also works on NTL BB on it's own. It's just a case of taking the BB connection cable out of the Mac and plugging it in to the PC, which is a drag. If a router could connect both at the same time it would eliminate this trailing lead and unplugging and plugging sequence.

pj123 21:24 26 May 05

belt&braces, thanks. That is a good link. Am checking it out now. I must have missed that when searching the Belkin site.

AndySD 21:28 26 May 05

Some MAC's already have airport built into them.

But from having a quick read it shouldent cause problems.

I use a router at home for 3 PC's and when my other halfs daughter visits she just plugs her mac into the network. (NTL Set top box connection)

pj123 21:36 26 May 05

Sorry, AndySD, I know absolutely nothing about Mac's. What is airport?

powerless 21:57 26 May 05

A place where the planes fly in and out :P

Airport is the APPLE way of saying it has wireless connectivity click here

pj123 22:05 26 May 05

Powerless, yes. I live 5 minutes away from Norwich International Airport and they are flying over my house almost all day. Thanks for the link, got a bit better understanding now. I am going to have to talk to the owner of the Mac and see what is the best way to do this connection.

powerless 22:21 26 May 05

eeerrrr click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos