Windows98 Keeps Freezing the machine

ARM Machine 19:57 05 Jul 05

I use WinXP-HE but am trying, with my long experience of computer use, (but limited *technical* knowledge), to help my less computer knowledgeable friend. I've got so far, but then got stuck. Here's the story so far:

Her machine details: It's an oldish machine running Windows98. Viruses and trojans had brought it to its knees. I cured it's problems with GriSoft's excellent AVG Free Edition and it has since been running perfectly ... until ...

In an attempt to preclude further troubles, after discovering that she had no firewall I downloaded ZoneAlarm and burnt it to CD on my own WindowsWP Home Edition PC. Whilst at it, in a spirit of 'overkill never hurts' I also put PopUpStopper and SpyDoctor onto the CD.

Back at her house, I checked the machine was still ok - yes it was. Next I put the CD in the drive and attempted to run ZoneAlarm first. It didn't seem to want to work, (even though it does fine on my own PC), but I don't have a clue why. I couldn't seem to identify an .exe-file/folder for ZA and trying the other 'bits' in the same folder as ZA didn't achieve anything. I then successfully loaded and ran PopUpStopper and Spy Doctor.

Next I had another go with ZA, but this time the machine froze the mouse pointer, and Ctrl/Alt/Delete was ignored. A power off/on was the only option - at least as far as I know, anyway. Back on, I tried again, same freeze-out. This then happened repeatedly. Attempting to be logical, as the machine had been fine before loading any of the evening's 'offerings' I then decided to uninstall one at a time, to eliminate. This idea was scuppered by more freeze-outs before I could get into the uninstall window.

I did have a cursory look at the setting window, (the one where you press - erhm, delete, escape, or whatever key - during power on/boot-up. However I don't really understand much of that, and didn't spot anything that looked likely, given my extremely limited knowledge, so I left well alone, changing nothing - well, I did actually correct the clock because it was miles wrong, but that's all.

Do any of these ramblings bring any ideas, please?

canard 22:45 05 Jul 05

Try Sygate instead of ZA- it's less pernickety.

ARM Machine 07:33 06 Jul 05

I'll go and Google in a moment, but I've not come across Sygate before - presumably it's a free offering like ZA? Whatever, thank you anyway for responding, Canard, much appreciated.

It will take a day or two before I can arrange to go to my friend's house to try out your suggestion, but I'll report back in due course.

Thanks again.

€dstowe 08:07 06 Jul 05

Whatever the cause of this specific problem, I would be strongly tempted to do a clean re-install of the whole system if, as you say, it was "brought it to its knees" by infections.

However good antivirus and other anti-malware may be, they are best at preventing rather than curing gross infections. When used for mass cleaning, there always seems to be something left behind or some part of the system has been irreparably affected.

Save any important data and do a clean re-install. It will be far better for it.

ARM Machine 19:58 06 Jul 05

The title to this is intended to say that I don't need any further help, well for the time being! The reason is that my friend had a sudden, work-related, rather urgent need to use her computer so resorted to a local professional company. Her email tonight says that her computer is now unfrozen due to the man uninstalling "... the last spyware thing you put on ..." which, looking back at my first posting on this problem I take to mean that it is SpyDoctor that he removed, and therefore also presumably that it was SpyDoctor causing the freezing - although to be fair to the SpyDoctor producers I can't be 100% sure as my friend goes on to say "... but don't ask me what he did!"

How long this happy state of affairs will last remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find in due course that I take the advice of my second kind helper and do the clean re-install of the whole system, so thank you too for your response.

ARM Machine 20:03 06 Jul 05

The title to this is intended to say that I don't need any further help, well for the time being! The reason is that my friend had a sudden, work-related, rather urgent need to use her computer so resorted to a local professional company. Her email tonight says that her computer is now unfrozen due to the man uninstalling "... the last spyware thing you put on ..." which, looking back at my first posting on this problem I take to mean that it is SpyDoctor that he removed, and therefore also presumably that it was SpyDoctor causing the freezing - although to be fair to the SpyDoctor producers I can't be 100% sure as my friend goes on to say "... but don't ask me what he did!"

How long this happy state of affairs will last remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find in due course that I take the advice of my second kind helper and do the clean re-install of the whole system, so thank you too for your response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac