Windows PC can't read Office for Mac Word files

popgeoff 16:46 07 Mar 10

My granddaughter has a Mac laptop for which I bought her Office for Mac. She wants to e mail me stuff for proofreading using her Word application. When I open the attachment on my Windows PC using Word I just get garbage,although if I choose "Open Office" I can read them perfectly. Is there something that she can do to enable me to read and edit in Word? I do like the Mac laptop but this is a bit of a puzzler.
Any ideas please.

Sea Urchin 17:44 07 Mar 10

Try right-clicking on the attachment and save it to the desktop - then right-click and Rename. Change the attachment extension to xxxxxxxxx.doc and it should then open in Word. She could of course change the extension before sending it to you, or of course you could always use Open Office.

If you cannot see the extensions they will be hidden - go to Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - and untick box against Hide extensions for known file types. Click Apply and OK.

Simsy 18:35 07 Mar 10

What she is saving the files as... e.g whether they are .doc or .docx or something else that is, perhaps, specific to the Mac version.

OpenOffice is clever, so I wouldn't be suprised if it can open Mac type documents that can't be opened in WinWord.

With apologies if this doesn't help!

Regards,

Simsy

Sea Urchin 20:35 07 Mar 10

They can certainly be saved as .rtf files - here is a guide to moving files between PC and Mac

click here

mgmcc 20:45 07 Mar 10

I have Office 2004 Mac and Office 2003 Windows and the Word files are compatible. As previously suggested, if she's using Office 2008 Mac, it may be saving by default in the Word 2007 .DOCX file format. If so, she should either save in the 2003 .DOC format or you can install the compatibility pack for Office 2007 file formats click here

popgeoff 10:53 08 Mar 10

Thanks everybody for your advice. I am sure I will have no further problems.
What a great forum this is !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…