Windows or Mac

crows 09:50 25 May 05

Hi i am from Australia and i am considering changeing from Windows To Mac but my family dont want me to as they think that they wont be able to go from a Mac with their Homework to School and Vice Versa. I would be interested in your thoughts. My children are 19 and 17.

MichelleC 10:35 25 May 05

The security on Macs now is vertually impregnible, whereas flaws are still being uncovered in windows. And Longhorn won't be available until next year (beta this year). I'm sure Macs can translate Windows - Mac, or there's certainly software that can. A Mac centre can advise you - there's one on the Great West Road in Iselworth.

Slithe 10:48 25 May 05

I'll be honest with you - I've had experience of both.

In the UK (as in many other countries) Microsoft has a monopoly within the school system, as someone who has just left the educational set-up, I can speak with authority on this subject.

Since Labour came to power in 1997, there has been a huge push towards ICT in British Schools, consequently many schools have had new computer rooms and software. All of these rooms use WINDOWS BASED PC's and software.

You may want to consider that ICT is now obligatory in the UK, and many A Level courses are geared toward the Windows Interface, as are other parts of courses such as the need to create POWERPOINT presentations.

Companies such as DELL ship large quantities of Windows PC's to schools at discount prices - most schools view MAC's as expensive, too complex to use and percieve that most students have PC's as opposed to MAC's. So Mac's consequently outnumbered.

I notice that one of your children is 19, will s/he be going to university or is at university? Some campuses use MAC's, but in reality only for courses that need graphics and design software.

For a school system, Windows is your best bet - and probably for university as well. Most campuses now give students the ability to 'log-in' from home and this is based on an Internet Explorer userface, as is the ability to recieve lecture notes in Word Format.

If you really want to have a MAC, then you could consider installing a Windows Shell on to it - which is possible and then use the Windows Software alongside your MAC software.

Sorry this is long - but from an educational perspective, consider keeping with Windows for the time being.

wobbly76 10:54 25 May 05
  Monument 11:04 25 May 05

Fraid not MicheleC

"
Cyber Security Alert SA05-136A

Apple Mac OS X is affected by multiple vulnerabilities
Original release date: May 16, 2005
Last revised: --
Source: US-CERT

Systems Affected
Mac OS X version 10.3.9 (Panther) and Mac OS X Server version 10.3.9

Overview
Apple has released Security Update 2005-005 to correct several vulnerabilites affecting Mac OS X. These vulnerabilites have a wide range of impacts, the most severe of which could allow an attacker
to gain access to your system"

A Mac is as insecure as any other machine it is just that the pond life who attack computers generally can't be bothered to attack such a niche product

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…