Will my little apple tree bear any fruit this autumn?

Aitchbee 20:15 15 Apr 14
Answered

It's about 7ft tall and in a big pot. This morning, I noticed that dozens of white-coloured flowers have appeared for the first time in the three years it has been on my verandah ... only leaves every year up until now. It is looking quite healthy and has been pruned in the proper way each year and protected from the wind. I have also seen a bee hovering around it. Any gardeners out there to answer my horticultural question?

Forum Editor 20:19 15 Apr 14

If it has flowered, and if the flowers have been pollinated, yes, it will bear fruit. make sure that you water it regularly, but don't give it too much. Thin the fruit as they develop, so you get fewer, but bigger apples.

In general terms apple trees will not really like living in a pot forever - unless you have a specially cultivated dwarf variety.

Aitchbee 20:42 15 Apr 14

Thanks for the advice, FE ... as I don't have a garden of my own to transplant it into the ground, I'll probably repot it into a bigger container anyway, next spring, come what may.

wee eddie 22:06 15 Apr 14
Answer

Most varieties of Apple require a specific Pollinator. e.g. not just another Apple, but one of a specific variety.

So, unless the little tree, that you have, has the pollinator grafted onto the root stock, your chances are pretty slim. However, I believe that they have now bred some varieties that are self-fertile.

So, do not despair.

As it's young, thin to a couple of fruit per branch

Forum Editor 22:08 15 Apr 14

Don't re-pot it too often, apple trees don't like being moved.

morddwyd 08:00 16 Apr 14

I have just grubbed up two fruit trees, plum an pear, which have been in for seven years and never produced even blossom, let alone fruit!

The pear bore two flowers on year, on of which produced a fruit, which it dumped in the June "drop"!

I think I've given them a fair chance, I have two apple trees which are very prolific, but these two have always been "blind".

Good luck with yours, HB.

BT 08:29 16 Apr 14

The biggest problem I have with my Plum tree is the weather. I thought this year I might be lucky . The tree was full of blossom then we had a rainstorm which just about knocked them all off. Just hope they were pollinated before this happened. If I get a good year I can get 50-60 lbs of plums, in a bad year hardly any. Last year I had about 20lbs which were mostly converted into Jam. I made three lots, plain Plum, Plum and Apple, and Plum Apple and Rhubarb with Ginger and Amaretto, which was particularly nice!

My Apple tree is in a sorry state. One of the two main parts died off the previous winter and had to be cut off so its now a wierd shape. The buds are bursting but if I don't get any fruit this year its all coming down.

wiz-king 08:56 16 Apr 14

If it does no doubt you will give us the pip talking about core values.

Aitchbee 09:10 16 Apr 14

wiz-king, you'll never hear the end of it ;o]

carver 12:48 16 Apr 14

Aitchbee how old is the tree, because any thing under 5-6 years and it will not produce fruit, have a look here enter link description here and I have heard of some variety's not producing until they are well into double figures.

Aitchbee 13:20 16 Apr 14

carver, when I bought the apple tree in Lidl 5 years ago it was about 4ft long and the roots were contained in a plastic bag ... so I reckon it must be about 7 years old in total.

BTW, the 5 other little various fruit trees I bought at that time did not survive more than a couple of years ... no leaf growth at all ... possibly due to overwatering or something else?

The apple tree is the only survivor!

I'll have a look at your link later this afternoon. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…