Will Airport X-Ray machines damage PC parts?

Sion 13:47 05 Jul 03

Question is in the thread title really. I'm popping to Thailand next week for three weeks, and may bring back some PC parts, if I can find them at the right price. Does anybody know if X-ray machines at airports will damage components ie. graphics card, CPU, hard drive, memory etc.

Any help muchos appreciated. Cheers guys.

-pops- 13:52 05 Jul 03

No. I have a long haul pilot as relative and he regularly takes a laptop on flights with him.

Staff luggage is X-rayed just the same as passengers by airport security and he has had no problems in dozens and dozens of flights.

Brian

-pops- 13:55 05 Jul 03

The thing to worry about is customs charges on your return. Check with the Customs and Excise on what you are allowed duty free and the duty rates when you go over the top. Overseas bargains might not be quite as inviting as they first appear.

Valvegrid 14:07 05 Jul 03

As pops says, check with HM Customs. You have to pay vat on entry, but there is a surprising long list of items that is exempt from duty. They usually charge you and you have to reclaim the duty quoting the commodity code.

Good luck, it's a hard road, got the tee shirt on all that.

Paul.

Stuartli 17:31 05 Jul 03

Airport scanners will not affect computer systems or parts - thousands of people take their laptops with them when travelling without mishap.

The scanners don't even cause any problems with photographic film and that would be far more likely to be affected.

Sion 17:42 05 Jul 03

I suppose the fact people take laptops on planes should have been pretty obvious to me really! D'oh! Cheers for the advice everyone. Hopefully Her Majesty will allow me to bring any goods back duty free! If I hide them well enough of course! Memory chips are pretty small and easilty concealable! ho ho ho!

Thanks for your help guys

Stuartli 17:46 05 Jul 03

If you visit the official Customs and Excise website you will be able to find out exactly to what value you may bring goods back before having to start paying duty.

jazzypop 17:49 05 Jul 03

In these security-conscious times, do you really want to be trying to conceal small electrical components in your luggage?

The chances of them getting past the various scanners at most airports are slim to zero.

The time it takes to explain it all may be considerable, and will at the very least increase the likelihood that the airport officials will want to take a very close (maybe even intimate?) look at what else you may be trying to conceal.

Not a chance I would want to take :)

Forum Editor 18:10 05 Jul 03

on business, and I must warn you to be very careful if you intend to buy anything in the way of electronic goods.

Apart from the Customs & Excise implications there's the risk that you might not be buying quite what you thought - there are many counterfeit items available at very attractive prices. To be honest, you can probably buy the real thing almost as cheaply from the comfort of your chair when you get back, then you can relax and enjoy the delights of Thailand without worrying.

My laptop has been through more X-Ray machines than I can count, and hasn't missed a beat, so don't worry on that score.

Sion 10:36 06 Jul 03

I've been to thailand three times before, so I know the score over their pretty well. My dad lives there as well, and his missus speaks thai, so he's pretty clued up as well. Well, he thinks he is...!Cheers for the advice Mr. Forum editor.

As for concealing small components in my bag. I was only going to wrap them in some socks. If anyone asks, i was protecting them from shock damage. Besides, security is not that great at airports, despite what the Daily Mail may tell you. Everytime I fly into heathrow, there is no-one on duty there! Pick up luggage, walk straight out. Probably all on duty looking for a fat mustachioed iraqi flying into the country. Still, i'll probably end up buying nothing anyway. Its just nice to know the score.

-pops- 10:57 06 Jul 03

"there is no-one on duty there"

Famous last words!!!

As for hiding in socks to protect from shock damage. Make sure they're clean socks or it migh be sock damage??;-))

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…