wi fi a dell pc and an apple mac together?

Newuser4654 13:06 29 Oct 06

Can someone please advise whether I can set up a wi fi system (say netgear DG834) joining together a pc with an apple mac.
your help would be appreciated.

mgmcc 16:20 29 Oct 06

Yes, you can. Do you already have the hardware (Mac, PC & router) and want detailed instructions?

oldun12 18:25 29 Oct 06

note to MGMCC:
I'm in the same position as Newuser4654 and would welcome any advice/instructions.
I have a Dell Dimension pc and my daughter has an Apple mac. I was hoping to run both machines from the same Tiscali broadband connection. I hope this might be possible.
Thanks

mgmcc 19:52 29 Oct 06

Yes, it is possible.

Do you want a "wired" or a "wireless" network?

Do you want to use "Internet Connection Sharing" with one of the computers (the "Host") connected to the internet and sharing its connection with the "Client" computer? If so, is the PC or the Mac to be the "Host"?

Alternatively, do you want to install a Modem/Router (wired or wireless) to replace your USB modem and allow both computers to have simultaneous internet access independently from a Host computer?

mgmcc 20:11 29 Oct 06

Here is a thread in another forum where I discussed sharing a Mac's Internet Connection with a PC click here

oldun12 20:13 29 Oct 06

Mgmcc.
I was hoping to use a wireless router/modem and fitting a wireless adaptor to the apple mac.....
Is this as simple as it sounds?

mgmcc 20:14 29 Oct 06

Try this one (the forum messing up URLs is driving me up the wall) click here

mgmcc 20:19 29 Oct 06

I have a MacMini and managed to find Mac drivers to use my Belkin USB WiFi adapter with it. Once you have wireless capability for the Mac, getting online with a wireless router is a breeze.

oldun12 20:33 29 Oct 06

mgmcc
many thanks for your info and advice. I think I understand and will have a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…