which digital macro camera

edennorman 09:10 07 Jan 08

Hello

The Kodak DX6440 which I have been using for the last two years without a problem is now starting to show a variety of problems intermittently.

I use my camera for macro work a lot.

I have heard that the Olympus stylus has a good pedigree?

Thank you

Eden

anchor 10:35 07 Jan 08

I see that your camera takes macro down to 10cm in wide angle.

click here

Would you need/like to get even closer?.

Can you give us an idea of your budget; there are so many good ones on the market.

edennorman 13:21 07 Jan 08

Thank you for your response.

I do not need to get closer, what is included in the spec for the DX6440 is quite enough for my uses.

I am wondering if to drift away from Kodak, as I approached the PC from scratch I went towards names I recognized.

Looking at my purchase I see I am over the 2 year warranty...not much over.

The reason I thought about the Olympus Stylus range was that the range in question has been in production for several years I believe.

The DX6440 was not a cheap camera when I bought it.

I was hoping to pay somewhere in the region of £150.00

Thank you for any further comment.

Regards

Eden

amonra 13:33 07 Jan 08

Canon IXUS 70 goes down to 10cm, price on Amazon about £130 ?

edennorman 13:42 07 Jan 08

Thank you but still looking at a comment of the Olympus range?

Thank you though.

Eden

Diemmess 19:35 07 Jan 08

Your brand loyalty, and modest requirements still leave the choice list wide open.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like you I developed a brand loyalty after an introduction to digital cameras with a Kodak (DC 210)? This was primitive and ate batteries!

I went ito a brach of Jessops which in those days was still doing well with conventional 35mm SLRs but had a member of staff who knew enough to help me choose an Olympus C900.

This was a great little camera but soon meant I wanted something with more....
My wife has it as hers now and it still works well.

Following that was a "compact" Olympus fine until I dropped it from a great height!

It was repaired but took so long I bought a 5050 meanwhile which was the nicest and had a f=1.8 lens.
It failed outside warranty with an erratic zoom which wouldn't zoom out properly.

Once again to be repaired and meanwhile a SP550UZ with a spectacular zoom range so that when Olympus seemed unable to set a return date for the 5050 exchanged for ... SP5500!
This once again passed to a son for the price of the repair.

Olympus, Canon, Fuji, to mention only three good manufacturers. recently you can add panasonic with a Leitz lens.

Close (macro) work is available on most and my scepticism is that electronic devices are not expected to last.

Choose among the slimmer less lumpy cameras, Best big names of yesteryear. Match your pocket and enjoy.

anchor 13:02 08 Jan 08

Without doubt Olympus make good cameras, but I feel that you are severely limiting your choice if you just confine yourself to this brand.

As Diemmess commented, Canon, Fuji and Panasonic are currently making some excellent models.

edennorman 13:20 08 Jan 08

Thank you for your advice, I do value it.

I considered Olympus because they produced very reliable models.

If you can offer me another direction I will pursue it.

Thank you

Eden

Stuartli 13:33 08 Jan 08

All the major digital camera manufacturers offer excellent and reliable cameras (many of them have been produced over the years in Taiwan).

The best way to choose any camera, from whatever manufacturer, is to try out and handle a number of models that prove of interest - you will soon know which one is right for you.

Relying merely on appearance and specifications can easily prove an expensive mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…