What should Apple do to increase iPad sales?

Macworld 14:22 19 Nov 14

There’s a lot of talk about how Apple’s iPad sales aren’t increasing as quickly as they were. What does the company need to do to improve sales? There’s talk of an even bigger iPad (12in) do you think that will do the job? What about the prices, should they be cheaper? Or does nobody want a tablet, after all?

simonjary 16:53 24 Nov 14

In my opinion, apart from getting ever thinner with more pixels there hasn't been a big enough leap forward to make older-iPad owners upgrade.

Mind you, Apple is trying to push upgrades by ruining older iPads that are updated to the latest versions of iOS!

Forum Editor 18:33 24 Nov 14

In 1983 Steve Jobs said:

“strategy is really simple. What we want to do is we want to put an incredibly great computer in a book that you can carry around with you and learn how to use in 20 minutes ... And we really want to do it with a radio link in it so you don’t have to hook up to anything and you’re in communication with all of these larger databases and other computers.”

I remember thinking 'This is a man who knows precisely what people like me want'.

Steve isn't here any more, and I've stopped thinking that Apple knows precisely what I want. I'm still using my iPad 1 on a daily basis, and - like simonjary - I haven't seen anything in the newer versions that tempts me to move up.

Sometimes, less is enough. It would be good to have a really fast iPad, but the one I would want is north of £600 - it's hard to justify.

Chris2210 16:45 25 Nov 14

It was inevitable the rate of growth would have to stall at some point. The huge leap was the iPad itself. I remember when Apple launched the first iPod and I just couldn't see what the big deal was [I think I eventually got one at something like gen 3].

But when the iPad lauched I knew it was going to be huge. I'd had an iPod Touch for a while, so I could see that if you could operate a smartphone/Touch, you could operate a tablet. It would be the only computer most people would need most of the time at a decent size for viewing, in a convenient package. Truly a 'computer for the rest of us' at last. I know from personal first hand experience of many people, who as normal consumers struggled to use computers, but took to an iPad almost immediately. On top of everything it was a relatively affordable device and suited the old and very young who were either daunted by, or couldn't afford a PC/Mac.

So a huge previously untapped market as well eating into the PC market at the more casual end of use.

As for a larger iPad/something to compete with the hybrid Windows Surface approach - I'm not so sure. For heavy duty content creation I still think the desktop/laptop paradigm is more suitable than something with a tack-on keyboard and a touch-screen. Previously compromise solutions were something alien to Apple's DNA [although I suppose there's an argument that Jobs' conviction he was always right meant a little inflexibility]. But these days with huge iPhones and iPad Minis [I'm a convert to the latter because it's so easy to fit in my camera bag and the retina display is still great for camera control and viewing images], I wouldn't stake much on Apple not going for a different form factor. In order for it to be successful in making in-roads to content creation I think there would have to be some major rethinking of interface - and even then, with it being likely to cannibalise sales of its Mac line, what would be the point?

Apple is probably picking up some sales at the lower end with the still available non-retina iPad Mini - perhaps the next iteration will see the retina version occupying that price point.

The real low end of the market is now awash with cheap and cheerful Android - and other - tablets. I haven't really handled many, but I expect it's a question of 'you get what you pay for' and Apple would be very unwise to compromise on quality - it is the current genuine differentiator for the brand and I don't expect them to leave that behind.

I just think we're now looking at a pretty saturated market. Cupertino is hardly on its uppers, but I think unless we see some radical new product, there isn't going to be a repeat of massive sales expansion the iPad signaled. [The Apple Watch may go someway, but I don't see it as having the same sort of potential for the time being].

Menzie 14:19 26 Nov 14

Tablets in general are in decline. It isn't because the new models aren't good but just like desktops it gets to a point where it is good enough for most people.

Most people use a tablet for the basics, surfing the internet, tapping out an e-mail, catching up with relatives on Skype, watch videos, etc. Every tablet under the sun can do that now and as the technology has matured it is possible to buy a decent powerful and reliable tablet for peanuts.

I myself currently have an Asus Memo Pad HD, it runs Android Jellybean and everything just works for what I use it for. I have no interest in upgrading to the latest models or feel left out in any way for not having Lollipop or the latest iOS.

The majority just wants something that works and will only be back to purchase again when their current device breaks.

Forum Editor 19:34 26 Nov 14

"The majority just wants something that works and will only be back to purchase again when their current device breaks."

I agree.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos