What is maximum HD size for my machine?

WiLL-A 20:10 13 Jul 03

I purchased my aging Gateway Pentium 2 in January 1999. It came equipped with a 6.4GB Hard Disk which is becomming ever more difficult to deal with.

I am having to constantly back up onto CD-R or delete things or even just not install things on my PC altogether.

I will be upgrading early next year but I want to upgrade the Hard Disk now and one which I shall be able to carry over to my new machine when I get it.

Problem is that i dont know what capacity I am limited to. According to the Gateway website my BIOS could recognise up to a 26GB HD but with a BIOS upgrade I could use higher capacity drives, but it didnt mention what.

I have upgraded the BIOS recently with the latest update and have seen a 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 that I would like to buy.

Does any one know if this will work or not?

woodchip 20:24 13 Jul 03

Instead of a big drive why not get two 30GB it may cost more but it's unlikely that if you had HD problems the would not go together. I would recommend Seagate Barracuda

keith-236785 20:57 13 Jul 03

if you goto the website of the hard drive you are looking to purchase, for example Maxtor, have a look for the hard drive software which can be downloaded, this enables (fools) your computer into accepting a larger drive than the bios says it will support (dont forget to get the instructions as well and print them out......

i think its Maxblast for Maxtor.

nothing to lose by having a look around.

alternatively just wait till you get the new computer, then you should have all the space you need,

keith-236785 20:59 13 Jul 03

Or you could just get a 20 GIG hard drive which you know your system will support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…