What Graphics Card on this old machine ?

Heefie 18:04 23 Apr 08

My son wants to play RF Online on our old PC, a Gateway E3400 but I am getting a DirectX error.

I think this is because the spec is just too old, the Motherboard is a Gateway MX841 with an inbuilt Graphics card.

The Manual, found at click here says :

AGP 4X expansion slot or graphics integrated on system board.

What I'd like to know is, what decent card can I put in this Motherboard without breaking the bank ?!?

Any help appreciated ...

hello heefie the minimum system specs are shown here click here
it says
Pentium/Athlon 800MHz
256MB RAM
Windows98SE/2000/XP
3.5GB Hard Disk Space (possibly more for future content updates)
DirectX 9.0c
Broadband Internet Connection 128Kbps or higher
DirectX compatible sound card
Supported Direct3D compatible video card
ATi 8500 / Geforce 3 or higher video card (not MX
kind regards akanic

also you could try updating direct :) cheers akanic

for got the x on directx lol

if you dont mind buying from ebay try this one
click here
they are realy cheap cards to buy :) kind regards akanic

Heefie 18:45 23 Apr 08

The machine has a Pentium III 800, 256 Mb RAM (updating to 512), WinXP, plenty of disk space, up to date DirectX 9.0c, all tests pass in DXdiag but with some Info/Warning messages, no problem with Sound card or DSL line ...

So I just want to put in the best (affordable !!!) video card that that M/B will take & rather than spend the next week trawling through ebay, Komplett, Dabs & whoever else I can find, trying to decide which cards are compatible, I thought I'd ask the experts <s> !!!

glad i could help Heefie :) kind regards akanic

Strawballs 22:30 23 Apr 08

You say it has a 4X AGP slot then any one of these will work click here don't worry that they say 8X your will just run at 4X.

woodchip 19:14 25 Apr 08

You may be trying to fit a old PCI card into a AGP slot as it does say in the speck you posted AGP4. But a PCI card would work if fitted in a spare PCI slot. But it may not be fast enough

Heefie 19:48 25 Apr 08

No, it's definitely an AGP card, a friend has just told me that different speed AGP cards have different slots, so I guess that this card is newer than the M/B can handle !!!

I assume that I will have to specifically buy an old AGP 4x card if this is the case ?!?

Strawballs 21:30 25 Apr 08

All AGP cards fit the same slot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…