washing machine repairs anyone

polish 17:27 28 Oct 07

hope this is allowed i have a washing machine that has developed a bad noise traced to the bearing on the drum the one the belt is attached to i was wondering if this can be replaced and how difficult i do my own car maintance so iam hoping this is possible

hzhzhzhz 17:33 28 Oct 07

In my experience with the machines I've had,the bearing was part of the drum. I had a machine a few years ago which had a new drum fitted because the bearing failed but within a few months that bearing failed also.

ayrmail 18:04 28 Oct 07

Can’t speak about your particular machine but many of them can be changed, if you are used to doing this type of work it’s not to hard but all machines vary in complexity. The problem may be getting the parts and then the price of the parts Can’t speak about your particular machine but many of them can be changed, if you are used to doing this type of work it’s not to hard but all machines vary in complexity. If you can get the back off the bearings are normally at the centre of the large fly wheel attached to the drum. The problem may be getting the parts and then the price of the parts click here click here

oresome 18:04 28 Oct 07

I have changed the drum bearings on our Hotpoint machine. A common fault with Hotpoints I am told by the dealer supplying the parts.

I was advised that their own engineers tend to replace the entire drum assembly as an easier option in the home.

It is a difficult job and ideally requires a pulley drawer to remove the old bearings from the shaft. The machine has lasted longer with my replacements than the original fit ones though.

The machine was actually covered for free parts providing they were fit by the approved service agent at something like £90 labour.

The parts cost me £28. A new drum assembly was around the £100 mark. All prices around 2 years ago.

diy 18:15 28 Oct 07

I changed a washing machine drum bearing a few months ago and its still ok.
Cost - about £35 for a bearing kit.
Your time – it will probably take most of a day to strip, fix and rebuild the machine.

wiz-king 18:56 28 Oct 07

I have done a couple of drum bearings on washing machines, found it quite straght forward. You will need a bearing kit and it is best to fit a new belt at the same time. As oresome said you may need a puller to get the main pully of and the to remove the bearing from the spindle (it usually just taps out from the holding bar). Main thing is to make space to work - a garage is about the right amount - dont try it in the kitdhen! You may also find you need new pump hoses (nothing to do with the drum - just they never get looked at).

polish 19:01 28 Oct 07

thanks for everyones response will price parts and go from there

zander8 20:21 28 Oct 07

Try this forum. Experts on every aspect of DIY who are only too happy to help and advise with any job.

click here

Regards,

Bob.

Stuartli 23:37 28 Oct 07

See:

click here

click here

click here

There are many other suppliers and/or sources of help and advice.

Wilham 13:05 29 Oct 07

We have had six washing machines since my wife and I moved in 43 years ago. With every m/c we paid for 4-yr extended home service to cover 1st 5 years.

The rub came when this cover ran out. Prices have changed but if the initial contract cost £100, the follow-on would be upped to £100 per year. So my diy took over until replacement became necessary.

I've cleared a blocked water pump and a hose leak or two. I notice after 5 years the rubbers are getting perished, particularly the door seal where the door presses. So we realised it is sensible to look and listen to a washing m/c in the final months of its warranty.

The repair men don't seem to mind at all. I asked if a rasping noise was from the main bearing, and they fitted new. Maybe after 5 years near every-day family use machines are near their designed longevity.

The last two machines have been Zanussi washer driers. They have brush/commutator motors instead of the earlier brushless/induction motors. The demand for higher loads and spin speeds has prompted the change, a big gain in power/weight ratio.

The first w/drier packed up in its 6th year and I found worn-out carbon brushes. Zanuzzi were over £30 a pair so I put in same size Hotpoint at £6 the pair. They wore away in just a couple of months; I suppose at the time I should have machine polished the brass commutators.

DIY still has its place. My latest W/drier stopped working when it had a full size beech clothes hanger inside. How it got in I don't know, I'm now an impatient old widower. But I was cheered to find the drive belt had been thrown off the pulley and I only had to put it back.

Good luck.

Stuartli 13:49 29 Oct 07

If you buy a Miele washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, vacuum cleaner or other household appliance, you'll probably never need to worry about repairs again...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…