W2k Machine does not recognise CD drive

recap 19:32 08 Mar 04

After Formatting a Windows 2000 machine the CD drive (E.) is not recognised. It shows up in the BIOS, but not in My Computer at times.

If the system is restarted or shut down and re-booted the Drive may be visible there but not accessable. An error may come up saying there is an I/O error. As i say `may come up` as this message doesn't always appear.

At times the drive will sound as if it is taking the CD but will not recognise that there is one in the drive, saying the `E. drive is not accessable`.

There is a DVD drive in the machine also which is set as slave and the CD drive is the master.

Any advices would be appreciated.

recap

will look in tomorrow as I am finishing work now.

jimv7 19:55 08 Mar 04

Try loading the motherboard drivers.

The generic one's loaded by win 2000 may not be good enough.

recap 08:24 09 Mar 04

Thanks jimv7 will give it ago.

Stuartli 08:29 09 Mar 04

The most likely cause is that you have a lead or leads that is/are not properly connected.

If the drive shows up in Device Manager whilst in Safe Mode this will almost definitely be the reason.

Have you tried removing and then allowing Windows to find New Hardware? Windows uses its own basic driver for all CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters.

recap 08:41 09 Mar 04

I did remove the drive to allow Windows to find it, but it still does not recognise it.

I had thought that there may be a loose wire but I can't see that this would be the problem as the machine has not been moved at all. Not unless it is just a normal ware and tear process that has dislodged a cable.

Will try both yours and jimv7 suggestions.

Will post back the results.

Thanks for your reponse.

recap 10:50 10 Mar 04

Further to the problems with this machine.

Both the CD & DVD drives are now recognised as SCSI devices but should be IDE.

How do I get the machine to recognise them as IDE drives?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…