Vista backup files to XP machine?

grumpy-git 00:19 24 Jan 08

Having only had a Vista pc for 3 weeks, I don't know much about restoring the files created by the Vista backup facility. I ran that before having to restore the laptop to original settings.

The problem now is that the laptop went back to the shop for good & I now only have the good old XP machine to work with.

Is it possible to find the files I want within the zip files & extract them? I've looked at the .wbcat file but don't seem to have anything that will "open" it, so don't know which zip files to look at (there are 36 of them)

g-g

Fingees 10:36 24 Jan 08

If your laptop went back to the shop for goos,
Why do you need the backup files?

I'm sorry that I don't quite understand.

Any files made by the Vista backup, must be opened by the vista backup programme.

Fingees 10:37 24 Jan 08

Sorry goos = Good

grumpy-git 11:54 24 Jan 08

Fingees,

I had transferred across all my Outlook Express e-mail folders from the XP machine, expecting that I would be using the laptop for the forseeable future. Same with some web sites I was working on.

I wasn't expecting the laptop to be, shall we say "useless", and that the files would be restored once I got it back again. So now I need to try & get some of those files back again, otherwise everything done during the 3 weeks of owning that new laptop has been lost. Obviously "if" I buy another Vista machine I can access them.

Hope that explains the problem.

g-g

Fingees 13:23 24 Jan 08

I see your problem.

As a matter of interest, I just copied a particular backup from my Vista desktop, to a USB pen drive.

I then put it in my XP laptop, and managed to extract the files contained in the backup.

Unfortunately I couldn't understand the type of files they were, although I recognised the titles.

Possibly an internet search may have led me to a program that could decode them.

This may help.

All the best

grumpy-git 13:46 24 Jan 08

Just had a search, don't think it's going to be that easy. Microsoft does mention decrypting files, but I didn't get very far understanding it.

g-g

Fingees 14:59 24 Jan 08

Just wondering if anyone on the Vista forum would know how to decrypt the backup files.

May be worth a try.

grumpy-git 15:12 24 Jan 08

Silly me, should have posted there. Didn't realise there was a Vista section, but I suppose that is because I never really had the laptop to get involved with the system.

I'll copy a message across there, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5