Viruses on Apple Mac

Sea Urchin 13:35 30 Nov 10
Answered

Interesting reading for those who believe that Apple Macs don't ever get viruses

click here

bremner 15:16 30 Nov 10

Of course there are viruses aimed at MAC's but a very small number when compared with Windows. Why? because there are millions more Windows machines. It just needs putting into perspective click here

letsgetrdy 15:32 30 Nov 10

Statistics on the amount of machines running linux is probably grosly underestimated. Linux is even more virus free, yet black and white hatters prefer it =)

octal 17:09 30 Nov 10
Answer

There's only two ways to get a virus on Linux and I suspect a MAC as well seeing as it's Unix based. The first way is if you, the operator, gives permission to execute a program to run which is downloaded from a web site, which is a really stupid thing to do. The core files in a Linux machine are read only, they can only be modified by root admin using a password, I haven't used a MAC but I suspect they are the same.

The other way is though an application, say Firefox or Java. If one attacks an application then just delete the application and all the config files and the nasty vanishes, not much good for a hacker who wants to install a nasty.

Incidentally, hackers love to get control of Linux machines if they can, they install malware on them because a Linux can handle loads much better than a Windows machine, the Linux box won't slow down like a Windows machine. They also like to protect their investment by installing software to protect them against attacks from other hackers. That's why it's so important to make sure you use good password protection and being very careful when using the root commands, and never, ever install anything just because something asks you to on the internet.

letsgetrdy 17:20 30 Nov 10

Yep octal, just like the old saying.. ONLY use root when absolutely nessesary :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…