Vibration from a Washing Machine

wee eddie 16:27 03 Jan 12
Answered

I live in a First Floor Flat in a Converted House, so the Inter-floor Sound Insulation is not brilliant.

I have just purchased a Washing Machine and am worried that my Neighbours, below, are going to be put-out by the vibration/noise it makes.

The question: Has anyone had any relevant experience/advice on the range of Anti Vibration Mats currently available, or of suitable (cheaper) substitutes.

proudfoot 16:35 03 Jan 12

I have no experience of Anti-vibration mats. Make sure the machine does not wobble when it is rocked by adjusting the feet. If possible place a sheet of lead similar to that used for flashings or roofs on buildings under the machine, this will help to reduce noise transmission.

pabby 16:44 03 Jan 12

Our washing machine fits under the worktop and vibrated badly. I wedged a thick newspaper betweeen counter and washing machine, result no vibration in the last 2 years.

pabby 16:45 03 Jan 12

Should read a rolled up newspaper.

WhiteTruckMan 16:52 03 Jan 12

Assuming it's a front loader (horizontal spin axis) then there's little you can do to even the load out by distributing it around the drum (as you could do with a top loader). The vibration is of course caused by the rapid spinning of an unbalanced load. 2 things you can do however. 1 wash smaller (lighter) loads, and/or 2 use a slower spin cycle.

WTM

wiz-king 17:59 03 Jan 12

I had complaints from the hose next door about vibrations from my air compressor, I cured the problem by putting several layers of rubber car mats under the machine. (The ribbed ones not the pimple type.)

morddwyd 18:02 03 Jan 12

I jam a sponge rather than a rolled up newspaper down the side.

We now don't even hear it at 1200rpm in even in our own bedroom.

Aitchbee 18:27 03 Jan 12

...rolled-up newspaper, sponge...quite good, but I use one of those rectangular pieces of cork that you use with sandpaper (for sanding down surfaces)...between machine and worktop.

And I only do washings between 8am and 8pm. (it's too windy for hangin' out)...the secrets that we keep!

Forum Editor 18:44 03 Jan 12
Answer

The first thing to say is that all washing machines vibrate - they do so because a steel drum full of clothes is belting around at 1200 rpm, and because the clothes will not be perfectly distributed inside the drum is is going to try to oscillate as it rotates. The manufacturers introduce damping devices to help control vibration,and it will be lessened if the machine is perfectly level in both directions.

Vibration is transmitted into the floor sub-structure, and - regardless of what you may be told to the contrary - you can never eliminate noise entirely. You can minimise it however, and this is how to do it

spuds 19:52 03 Jan 12

Why not try the washing machine manufacturer for their advice. A couple of years ago, we started to have clothes showing white spots/streaks after washing. Contacted both the washing machine and the usual washing powder manufacturer's, and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Apparently the machine required a 'maintenance wash' especially if you are using powder and not liquid washes(no mention in the instruction book about this?). Run washing machine at highest temperature and setting, with no clothes or washing powder/liquid, and that's the maintenance wash, which should be done periodically.

Aitchbee 23:34 03 Jan 12

As I have posted before, I do my big duvets in a communal wash area. The residents have a 1hr 15min period to do their weekly wash.

It's all set up in the basement of a block of flats, two washing machines...and the system works well.

The twin tumble dryers (driers) are available, also, during the 75 minute laundering regime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…