Upgrading my machine

benwwatson 13:18 28 Jun 08

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my machine as it runs slow. I'm not sure what to upgrade in it though. my budget is between 100 - 200 GBP. The cheaper the better.

here is my spec: (none of which makes any sense to me)

BIOS ID: 09112002-SiS-648-6A7I0M4BC
BIOS Date: 091102
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
Chipset: SiS 648 rev 2
Super I/O: Winbond 697HF rev 6 found at port 2Eh
Motherboard Name: MEDIONPC
Motherboard Model: microstar ms 6701
O/S: WinXP SP2
BIOS ROM Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB 2x256DDR (samsung?)
Memory Max: 2048 MB
CPU: Intel Pentium(R) 4 2533 MHz MAX: 3000 MHz
HDD: A not so whopping 40GB
Graphics Card: Gforce fx 5200 128MB DDRTV

can anyone help. I'm not that clued up when it comes to upgrades.

thanks all
Ben

cream. 13:55 28 Jun 08

You are in a bit of a dilemma. Your machine is about at it's limit for a better cpu. Ram for this machine is quite expensive and you would not be able to move it on to a newer machine. A faster and larger hard drive would help a little and that could always be used again.

I don't think it's worth putting anymore money into the machine, you will be playing catch up and will always loose.

Firstly backup your data and try a re-install of the operating system. That always boosts performance.

If you want to upgrade I would suggest a package like this click here which would be at the top of your budget. You could use your current harddrive and cd/dvd writer although you may have to reinstall or repair windows to get it going. This would give a massive boost and you will have plenty of scope for expansion in the future.

less expensive would be click here or if you can pewrform a simple task of taking the motherboard out, one of these click here. You could couple the last one with a 400Gb hard drive for around £145 click here

ICF 13:57 28 Jun 08

Adding more memory might speed things up. Let crucial do a sacn of your computer and it will tell you what memory you need click here

Technotiger 14:06 28 Jun 08

A cheaper option - Get a bigger hard-drive 160Gb at 7,200rpm. Install your maximum RAM, it is not expensive these days, check your own RAM upgrade capabilities at click here just run their scan. Your CPU is certainly OK as is. With these simple measures you should notice a speed increase.

On top of which, a regular dose of pc maintenance also helps in the speed stakes, like clearing out rubbish software/temp files etc. as well as physically cleaning inside the case getting rid of dust/fluff etc especially on any/all fans.

Technotiger 14:08 28 Jun 08

PS - you could keep your old hard drive as a slave to your nice shiny new hard drive, or as an external hard drive in a USB caddy, giving you even more room.

benwwatson 08:24 29 Jun 08

thanks guys much appreciated, just ordered some new ram, now looking for a new hard drive.

you help is appreciated!! thanks again

Ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…