Unable to boot up XP machine

The Dazza 16:41 12 Aug 06

Hi, a friend of mine has kindly given me a PC with everything except a hard drive. I had a spare 10gb drive with XP already installed on it. I have connected it and checked the jumpers are set correct on all drives (HDD, rewriter and CD ROM).When I boot up it comes up auto detecting pri master..not detected, auto detecting pri slave..not detected, auto detecting sec master..not detected.

It then proceeds to a screen that says Novell Netware ready firmware and then flashes up a message to boot from local drive press home key.

Then boot failure, insert boot diskette in A: press any key when ready.

I do not know the BIOS password therefore cannot change the boot sequence, does anyone know of a way round resetting the BIOS password without knowing it? Cheers

VoG II 16:42 12 Aug 06
  DieSse 16:44 12 Aug 06

Use the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard, if you can identify it.

Otherwise take out the battery . leave it out for at least 1 hour, then refit and try again. If the password still hasn't reset - leave the battery out overnight.

The Dazza 16:50 12 Aug 06

I have taken the battery out of the machine. In one of the articles it says to take out for 10mins, so I'll try that. If not I'll leave it an hr, if still no joy I'll leave it overnight

The Dazza 18:51 12 Aug 06

Taking the battery out for 10 mins cleared password and everything else is working now too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…