Transfer data from PC SATA RAID to Mac Mini?

thedust2010 18:30 22 Sep 06

I have 2 250GB SATA drives mapped as one large 500GB drive on my PC. Any ideas of how I can get this data onto my new Mac Mini? My PC is dead. If it weren't I could simply dump 50GB at a time to my iPod and transfer it that way. Any ideas? Also, is it possible to reformat these discs for use with the Mac Mini if I get enclosures for them?

ade.h 20:29 22 Sep 06

That is why you should always use at least a three disk array when employing striping or have a good backup routine. Actually, have a good backup routine anyway.

At a push, you may be able to get the array members working in another RAID-equipped PC by repairing the OS installation to deal with all the many and various driver changes. But... the need for the low-level RAID driver may possibly throw a great big spanner in that one unless the RAID controller happens to be the same make and model.

What is the exact nature of the failure? OS? Or major hardware?

thedust2010 21:14 22 Sep 06

Yeah my cheap side prevented me from spending on a good backup solution. I just kept putting it off...

My RAID controller came standard with my ASUS P4P800-E motherboard. My PC isn't sending a signal to the monitor anymore. I'm going to go out and get a 400-500GB external drive and then try out a different video card and different processor to see if this brings my computer back to life and if so, I'll just back everything up to that drive before saying goodbye to my old ASUS. This has probably been a long time coming since this motherboard actually started on FIRE about a year ago... THAT was interesting!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos