switching broadband from bt to sky mac code

Old Town Steve 17:55 21 Aug 08

Hi All,
I'm thinking of changing from BT broadband to sky, as it's a lot cheaper. I apparently need a mac code from BT, can anyone please advise how this works? i.e. in what order do i need to go about things?
Do I first contact BT to cancel (and presumably)they would then give me a mac code? (has anyone been offered a better deal to stay?)

Then do i just place order with sky, and let them soet out with the mac code?

Best Regards

Steve

Binnacle 18:10 21 Aug 08

Have a look at the Sky instructions click here

awest3 21:44 21 Aug 08

I moved from Pipex to Sky....you have to ask BT formally for the MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) code. They have, If I remember correctly, 5 days to provide this..but it only lasts for about 20 days or so then you have to apply again. Pipex were late getting mine to me then sent it 3 times...(after prompting). Its best to get your Sky service sorted first..they then hold fire until you get your MAC code. Experience shows that once you have you Sky line it takes about a month or so to settle down. Mine now runs great but was up and down for a while at the start. The Sky instructions are quite good...

Al

Sheik Yerbouti 17:51 22 Aug 08

I got a MAC code from BT over the phone....Phoned SKY with it, and about 2 hours later BT BBand stopped working, was without a connection for 2 weeks, until SKY BBand came online. Complained about it to BT, they gave me some waffle about changing to LLU provider (SKY) and the connection had to be terminated first.( I think it was just sour grapes, cos they must be losing lots of business to cheaper, or free providers) but didn't really understand the process of the changeover. Phoned OFCOM to complain...they agreed that a MAC code was there to initiate a smooth changeover of providers, but couldn't explain why I'd been cut off. Might be an idea to inform SKY of your intention to move to them, but provide the MAC code at a later date, when all the wiring had been completed at the exchange. Not sure if this is possible though.

Anyway, that was at our old house, moved now...no sky dish on new house, so plumped for virgin media... 20Mbps cable BB , Max TV package, and free calls for 49 quid p/m for 6 mths, then 56 quid. love it and wouldn't hesitate recommending it if it's in your area. Best of luck with it all anyway.

AlHill 14:04 31 Aug 08

Hi the only way to get a MAC code is to telephone your existing service provider who is obliged to provide you with one in 5 working days. Don't though cancel your existing service provider, as this will result in a loss of service. Once you have your MAC code, you must use it within 30 days and provide it to your new provider when you order the service either online or through their call centre. If though you encounter a problem would take Sheik's advice and make a complaint to Ofcom. For more information on this would visit maccode.co.uk
Hope this helps...

^wave^ 09:08 01 Sep 08

i moved from pipex to sky earlier this year great move all i did was call pipex they supplied a mac code by post about 3 days later i had already signed for sky max and telephone, i got a letter from sky and they gave the procedure to switch and all i did was give them the mac code next there router turned up and the switch over date on the date of switch over i went to work and when i got back i was then on sky easy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…