switching between machines

wobbly76 14:52 12 Dec 05

If I could just ask a simple question, I am using Win.XP Pro and Mac Tiger,I am the only user.
I have ethernet connection with cable ISP,when I want to swap over machines, before changing the RJ45 from one to the other, which by the way is an ntl cable modem, should both comps be shut down?
I realize a router would be the best option but even with that, can you just switch from one to the other, that is assuming it is a switched router.
When I first had the ethernet conn. the ISP told me I should shut down both machines before changing the cable.
Cheers, w76

Skills 16:39 12 Dec 05

I would shut down both machines before swapping the cable over. But as you say your best option would be to get a router as most have a 4 port hub built in each of your machines can connect to the router at the same time via there own ethernet cabe and so you would not need to keep switching all the time.

wobbly76 11:20 13 Dec 05

Thanks, Skills

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…