Some mac questions

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:10 31 Dec 05

Hi

I have been offered an apple macintosh free of charge. I know nothing about them and am hoping you guys can answer some questions.

The mac in question is a G3, this means nothing to me, what is it exactly?

I want to run some software on it which needs OSX, is a G3 likely to have this on? The person who offered it me said they could put tiger on it, is this better? Is it an OS at all?

It will not come wit a monitor, is there any kind of "splitter" that will allow me to use this and my PC on the same monitor?

I understand it's UNIX based, does this mean command line stuff or does it have a full GUI?

Can it be added to my existing (two windows, one linux) network?

mgmcc 00:32 01 Jan 06

<<< I want to run some software on it which needs OSX, is a G3 likely to have this on? The person who offered it me said they could put tiger on it, is this better? Is it an OS at all? >>>

Mac OS X version 10.4 is "Tiger" and this is the very latest operating system.

<<< It will not come wit a monitor, is there any kind of "splitter" that will allow me to use this and my PC on the same monitor? >>>

In this respect it shouldn't be any different from any other "PC", a KVM switch should let you share a monitor. I actually have a VNC application installed in the Mac so that I can "remote control" a Windows PC.

<<< I understand it's UNIX based, does this mean command line stuff or does it have a full GUI? >>>

Yes, it has a full GUI but it is probably more like Linux than Windows.

<<< Can it be added to my existing (two windows, one linux) network? >>>

Absolutely, I have Mac, Windows and (SuSE 10) Linux networked via a router, all online and file sharing.

<<< I have been offered an apple macintosh free of charge. >>>

Go for it and have fun!

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:43 01 Jan 06

Thanks mgmcc, all questions answered!

The software I need has been ported to Mac os 10.4.2 so this is Tiger?

Cheers

powerless 00:57 01 Jan 06

No 10.2 is Jaguar.

10.4 is Tiger.

mgmcc 10:45 01 Jan 06

<<< The software I need has been ported to Mac os 10.4.2 so this is Tiger? >>>

*YES* - 10.4.2 is "TIGER"

The latest version of Tiger is 10.4.3 but you can get a free online update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:20 02 Jan 06

Thanks mgmcc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…