share a printer between windows and apple

LC 15:59 13 Apr 05

I have a home office PC using XP that I connect a lexmark E232 via a USB cable. I connect to the internet using ethernet cable to a router.

I have a powerbook G4 that I use airport to connect to wirelessly to the router to connect to the internet.

How can I share the printer so that I can use it wirelessly via my powerbook???? or access some of the PC files???/

wednesday 13 16:23 13 Apr 05

click start then help and support and there are loads of questions there

Kate B 16:47 13 Apr 05

If you buy an Airport Express unit it acts as a print server - it comes with a USB port. As I understand it you can plug the printer's USB port into the Airport Express and your Powerbook should just find it in that fabulous way anything wireless with a Mac just works.

Kate B 16:53 13 Apr 05

oops, forgot to mention that you need to install the printer's drivers on to the Mac .. you won't get far without them!

And to enable filesharing on the Powerbook, click System Preferences, then Sharing in the Internet and Network row and tick Windows Sharing under both Services and Firewall.

On your Windows machine you'll need to enable shared folders for the drives you want to be on the network - probably not a brilliant idea to make your C drive shared unless your network is secure as anyone will be able to access it - I suggest you just make My Documents - or even a separate, designated folder (make one called something like Shared with Mac folder) - shared.

Then you should be able to access that folder via the Mac by clicking on Network in the Finder window. It's pretty intuitive from there, but post back if you have problems.

wednesday 13 20:14 13 Apr 05
  wednesday 13 20:18 13 Apr 05

click here=:::::

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…